Why become a member? ×

Trace Elliot 1215

Kaprikorn

I have a Trace Elliot 1215 combo (with an 18" external TR cabinet), which sounds great - most of the time. Unfortunately, after playing a little while, it will occasionally pop or crack - not high volume related but sounds like a short or speaker popping. Anybody have a clue as to what's going on?

[quote name='Kaprikorn' post='1308056' date='Jul 18 2011, 04:28 PM']I have a Trace Elliot 1215 combo (with an 18" external TR cabinet), which sounds great - most of the time. Unfortunately, after playing a little while, it will occasionally pop or crack - not high volume related but sounds like a short or speaker popping. Anybody have a clue as to what's going on?[/quote]

Is it one of the new ones, 500W?

I used to have one of these - did the same thing. The problem got worse over a couple of years after it started. I took it to a tech guy, who said that it's a design fault where two tracks on the circuit board are too close together, and there is some arcing between them, causing the pops and crackling. He rerouted it somehow and it was fine after that - cost £50 in all so not too big a job to fix!

You could get Trace to do it for free, they do offer a 5 year warranty and these things have only been made for the last 6 years or so. They have recently been bought by Peavy though so I am not sure about the warranty status, you'll have to ask.

[quote name='aldude' post='1308258' date='Jul 18 2011, 02:10 PM']Is it one of the new ones, 500W?

I used to have one of these - did the same thing. The problem got worse over a couple of years after it started. I took it to a tech guy, who said that it's a design fault where two tracks on the circuit board are too close together, and there is some arcing between them, causing the pops and crackling. He rerouted it somehow and it was fine after that - cost £50 in all so not too big a job to fix!

You could get Trace to do it for free, they do offer a 5 year warranty and these things have only been made for the last 6 years or so. They have recently been bought by Peavy though so I am not sure about the warranty status, you'll have to ask.[/quote]

Yes it is a new one (500W) and thank you very much for replying! I was fearing I was the only one with this problem. I will see if someone can fix it as you say - I'm not really near a Trace dealer and it would cost a lot to ship (so heavy). You say you "used to have one" - any reason why you don't have it any longer?

Thanks again.

[quote name='Kaprikorn' post='1308374' date='Jul 18 2011, 08:27 PM']Yes it is a new one (500W) and thank you very much for replying! I was fearing I was the only one with this problem. I will see if someone can fix it as you say - I'm not really near a Trace dealer and it would cost a lot to ship (so heavy). You say you "used to have one" - any reason why you don't have it any longer?

Thanks again.[/quote]

I don't have it because age has set in and 40kg is a lot to heft about these days! :)

I would get Trace to fix it if you can though. They will know the problem and be able to fix it and also for free if it's still in warranty (don't know if they would cover the cost of shipping though). Whereas a more local repair guy would need to investigate.

Edited by aldude

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='aldude' post='1308793' date='Jul 19 2011, 04:03 AM']I don't have it because age has set in and 40kg is a lot to heft about these days! :)

I would get Trace to fix it if you can though. They will know the problem and be able to fix it and also for free if it's still in warranty (don't know if they would cover the cost of shipping though). Whereas a more local repair guy would need to investigate.[/quote]

Sorry to bug you, but do you happen to know the actual 'technical' repairs that were done to your amp? I'm planning on fixing mine and wanted to know what to tell the repairman.

Thanks in advance!