Why become a member? ×

Gibson Blackbird

Von Death

I got a Gibson Blackbird, I bought it cos it looks damn cool. The paintwork was crap, it was matt, but had worn to a horrible oily black. I got it professionally re finished Matt Black. I also added a volume control for each pickup. Whats the point in having two pick ups and not being able to blend them. Its got its original case (though the lock is knackered). The truth is I dont like the sound, I got an 82 US BC Rich Mockingbird and a Precision and I prefer their sound. I play with my fingers and just cant seem to get the clunking attack from the Blackbird. Its got growl but think it is best suited to plec players. Anyway its a beautiful looking bass and some people love the sound. If I were rich I would keep it, but sadly I am skint. I cant find any others up for sale,,,, Any ideas re price?

I would upload a pic but the only one I got fails as it says the file is too big

[quote name='Bankai' post='1316227' date='Jul 25 2011, 08:46 PM']Thunderbirds usually go for about £700-800 depending on condition. I'd say that you should look around that maybe?[/quote]

Agreed. Blackbirds are rarer but that doesn't necessarily mean more sought after!

[quote]I would upload a pic but the only one I got fails as it says the file is too big[/quote]

Is this one?

[attachment=85696:blackbird.jpg]

Not everyones cup of tea though. thunderbirds are an aquired taste, and not easily sold, i think a black gothic one would be even more difficult. especially as they do an epiphone version which looks the same for £170.

As someone else suggested, its probbaly worth about £600, finding a buyer may be more tricky. The bay will always provide its 'real' value though.

Good luck with the sale, if you decide to part with it.

[quote name='Von Death' post='1316217' date='Jul 25 2011, 08:41 PM']I got a Gibson Blackbird, I bought it cos it looks damn cool. The paintwork was crap, it was matt, but had worn to a horrible oily black. I got it professionally re finished Matt Black. I also added a volume control for each pickup. Whats the point in having two pick ups and not being able to blend them. Its got its original case (though the lock is knackered). The truth is I dont like the sound, I got an 82 US BC Rich Mockingbird and a Precision and I prefer their sound. I play with my fingers and just cant seem to get the clunking attack from the Blackbird. Its got growl but think it is best suited to plec players. Anyway its a beautiful looking bass and some people love the sound. If I were rich I would keep it, but sadly I am skint. I cant find any others up for sale,,,, Any ideas re price?

I would upload a pic but the only one I got fails as it says the file is too big[/quote]

Most of the appeal of these is the connection to Nikki Sixx, so adding the volume controls probably hasn't enhanced the value. Gibson Thunderbirds generally sell easily, there's just not that big a market for them on Basschat. Unless you're lucky and find someone on here that really wants it, I'd put it on eBay with as low a start as your nerves will stand and offer international shipping. You ought to get £600-£800.

[quote name='spinynorman' post='1318337' date='Jul 27 2011, 03:05 PM']Most of the appeal of these is the connection to Nikki Sixx, so adding the volume controls probably hasn't enhanced the value. Gibson Thunderbirds generally sell easily, there's just not that big a market for them on Basschat. Unless you're lucky and find someone on here that really wants it, I'd put it on eBay with as low a start as your nerves will stand and offer international shipping. You ought to get £600-£800.[/quote]

Best advice you'll get

I think given the valuation I would be better of keeping it and making some use of it. To be fair I dont think the bass would appeal to Nicki Sixx fans only .... I bought it and I think Nicki Sixx is crap.

Edited by Von Death

I have been after a Blackbird for a while. Last year i saw one for £1500 which was a little too much for me. The refinish would knock it down a little for the purists but £800 would be fair to both sides.

Apparently they did not sell that well and shops stateside like Guitar Centre were blowing them out for as little as $600. Now they are sought after and Gibson are doing a less appealing Nikki Sixx thunderbird and soon to be released Shavo Odadjian model.

The Shavo model has a 1976 headstock, thinner almost jazz profile neck, silvery white finish, two volume knobs and a kill switch. Tone is preset to his tastes.

He is on the cover of Bass Guitar Magazine and talks about it in an interview.

Edited by dwh87

[quote name='dwh87' post='1320959' date='Jul 29 2011, 11:28 PM']The Shavo model has a 1976 headstock, thinner almost jazz profile neck, silvery white finish, two volume knobs and a kill switch. Tone is preset to his tastes.

He is on the cover of Bass Guitar Magazine and talks about it in an interview.[/quote]

... and [i]still[/i] has that f***ing awful bridge! :)

I am sure that this chap used a Blackbird as well.

That bass like Sixx's is based on the 60s/70s thunderbird as it has a very slim neck (as disliked by John Entwistle).

He has also modified it the same way as my Blackbird 2 x Volume and no tone. Before I had my bass refinished I was thinking of having sprayed white, as I do love the look of white thunderbirds. I used to have a Alpine White Epiphone which in some ways I preferred as it had a thicker neck (it also had proper Gibson pickups retro fitted).

But Its the Iron Crosses that really sold me on the Sixx model.