Why become a member? ×

Open mic pays off...

KevB

I'd been down at High Voltage on Sunday so was pretty exhausted travelling back yesterday when I get a text from the guitarist in the new band project - could I do a jam on Monday night? It was at a pub only a few miles from home so I got home and cleaned up and went straight back out. We did 4 songs I thought I might have a stab at from a list of 40 or so I'd been sent last week. It was all a bit of a surreal blur as I was running on empty (the band said I looked knackered as soon as I set foot in the pub).The landlady dashed over after our mini set and offered us a gig straight off, totally bizarre. We don't even have a name yet. At least it gives us something to aim at but I was a bit shellshocked at taking on a gig while I'm still learning the set! It's not till early Sep so we should knock something into shape by then, better get some rehearsal time booked!

It pays off. My band, we're quite young and we done a open mic for 3 months for a competition and ended up coming second (narrowly) but we got 4 gigs out of it with a price of 100 quid for each gig. Every time we write new material we head off to an open mic and get opinions on it and what we could improve before booking a studio session.
Good luck! :)