Why become a member? ×

New Squier 5

dan2112

[url="http://www.squierguitars.com/products/search.php?partno=0326760521"]http://www.squierguitars.com/products/sear...tno=0326760521[/url]
[attachment=85810:0326760521_xl.jpg]

Has anyone come across this yet? Looks great...should have a good price too!!

Yeah, I saw one in Guitar Guitar Glasgow the other day. Some pretty bad matching of body woods-aside, it looked to be pretty good value for money for a five string. I think it was going for around £280 or so. I didn't play it but it did catch my eye for a low cost back up 5 string bass.

I played one of these today at Rattle and Drum in Derby. Now, I'm not being big headed or anything, but I've owned some nice basses over the years, including USA Fenders, Marleaux, Ken Smith, F Bass...and this Squier was a genuinely good bass!!!

It really surprised me to be honest with you. I'm not a killer bassist by any stretch of the imagination, but the bass felt really nice to play, the neck felt comfortable and playable. It neck dived a bit if anything. But sound and tone wise, it was spot on. For £280 new I don't think you can go wrong really for the classic Fender tone in a 5 string package. It really grooved and sounded spot on, some nice vintage tones there.

Fair enough the inlays are plastic not pearloid and all that kind of stuff, but it genuinely sounded good.

The B string held it's tone nicely too. Didn't sound weak or lack any ballsyness.

I played one of the Squier Deluxe 5 string Jazzers a few months back and it was horrible to play. The neck was way too chunky and it felt shoddy in my hands. This Vintage Modified one knocked the spots off the Deluxe for me.

That's all just my opinion of course, but I'm considering getting one as I'm on the hunt for a 5 string and it'd come in at about 50% of what I'm prepared to spend on a 5 string at the moment!

Hope that's of some help.

Jamie

[quote name='bassjamm' post='1321885' date='Jul 31 2011, 01:15 AM']I played one of the Squier Deluxe 5 string Jazzers a few months back and it was horrible to play. The neck was way too chunky and it felt shoddy in my hands.[/quote]

I love my Deluxe. Best part? The neck :)
I truly love that big neck.

Horses for courses, eh?

I guess this VM won't be for me then... but I must still try one, it looks great.

[quote name='thodrik' post='1319340' date='Jul 28 2011, 02:25 PM']Yeah, I saw one in Guitar Guitar Glasgow the other day. Some pretty bad matching of body woods-aside.[/quote]

Seen that on a couple of the 4 string versions, which is a shame as apart from that they're quite tasty looking basses for the money.

Not sure about the satin finished neck on the gloss poly body either.