Why become a member? ×

Compact vs GK Neo 112-ii cabs

largo

I must be the only person on the forum at the moment, but I've sold my Barefaced Compact cab and gone for a pair of the GK Neo 112-ii cabs. Many thanks to Mark at Bass Direct for his help and prices!

There were a couple of things I didn't like about the Compact, but all my opinion. The painted cover I just never liked and I always had a preference for carpet or Tolex. No reason really, just my opinion. It was also just too short a cab and I always felt the sound passed my ankles. My racked amp was always wider than the cab and aesthetically I didn't like this. Lastly, as great as it sounded I never felt like I felt the sound (if that makes sense) Again, might be a problem that it was sitting low but even at a tilt it wasn't there. Again, this is only my opinion.

So, I sold it and opted for 2 of the GK Neo 112-ii cabs. I've been pleasantly surprised to tell you the truth. This forum makes you believe that you've got to spend the big bucks on Bergs, Aguilar & Vanderkley cabs to get any decent quality sound. I can honestly say the GK's are great sounding cabs at any price and are lighter than a lot of the other 12" cabs. They weigh about the same as a Compact cab and are an easy lift. They are Tolex finish with a roadie-proof grill and sit just that little bit higher than the Compact so I hear things better and they also seem to let me feel the bass too. If I really need height I can stack them vertically at 48" or so which is well high enough to hear them even when I'm standing almost on top of my rig at some gigs.

Important thing is, the rest of guys in the band like the tone too. Better definition on stage (although I didn't think the Compact lacked this) was what I was told and the drummer seemed to think they had more bite. Maybe the tweeter helps with this.

It's only been my 1st gig and got another tonight so I'll add another update but wanted to let you guys know there's another player in the small, lightweight cabs department. Well worth considering.

Cheers.

I've been recommending the 212 for a while as a lightweight giggable cab, they are great and do have a brilliant sound. I almost picked up two 112s but the move from the 410rbhs was enough to make my back happy with the 212s. :)

I think a lot of people are put off the GK neo stuff (cabs and the MB combos) because it's so cheap compared to some other stuff out there, it's a shame, especially when people judge it without hearing.