Why become a member? ×

Is this a potentially new Bergantino product?

Musicman20

83lbs so it is hardly lightweight. It will probably sound great though, its a Bergantino!

For that kind of footprint and weight though I would probably go for a 4x10 or 6x10.

Am I the only one that thinks that they might as well have added a third speaker so it would be a vertical 4x10, much like two 2x10s stacked end on end?

[quote name='JTUK' post='1322441' date='Jul 31 2011, 08:07 PM']Interesting..but I have my doubts that you could drive that hard with a 500watt amp.

I think I am close to the limits with 2x210's for 550w..??[/quote]

For many 2x2x10" rigs you'll be well past their limits of clean power handling in the lows (i.e. excursion limited power handling) with 550W - however it isn't the cone size that determines the real world power handling, it's the volume displacement, and that depends on cone area multiplied by cone excursion.

If you keep cone excursion the same and double cone area (i.e. going from 2x10" to 4x10") then you double the volume displacement, thus gaining 6dB of max output. Doubling cone area increases sensitivity by 3dB so the extra 3dB comes from a doubling of excursion limited power handling.

Alternatively you could keep cone area the same and double cone excursion (for instance going from 4mm to 8mm) thus doubling the volume displacement and gaining 6dB of max output. As the cone area hasn't changed there is no change in sensitivity (assuming you've kept moving mass constant) so the 6dB of output comes from a quadrupling of excursion limited power handling.

In that past both Bergantino and Euphonic Audio have sold 2x10" cabs with high excursion woofers (the HT210 and VL210) which exhibited an amazing ability to handle power in the lows compared to other 2x10"s. The reason was their very high volume displacement and thus excursion limited power handling. If this cab is of this ilk (it looks like it is) then it will handle plenty of power. Interestingly enough the Bergantino HS cabs take the opposite approach, with low excursion limited power handling but high sensitivity, so they get more clean output from low powered amps, but you'd need about twice the cone area in HS cabs to match the clean bottom from HT cabs.

Comparing cab performance by grouping them due to speaker configuration is about as useful as comparing car engines by grouping them due to engine capacity - and the variance in speakers in current production in bass cabs is like comparing a modern cutting edge 5.0 V8 to a mid '70s mainstream production example - the new engine manages to produce more than twice as much power whilst using far less fuel and producing fewer nasty emissions - indeed there are plenty of 2.0 4 cylinder engines on the market which will more than match the generic smallblock V8s of the '70s in terms of power and torque curves.