Why become a member? ×

GWB35 mods

bassjamm

Hello fellow basschatter's...

Just wondered what mods,it any at all,you folks have carried out on a GWB35? And with what results?

Or what mods have you heard others do?

Would the Aguilar obp-1 be an improvement for instance? Or a bartoloni pickup? Maybe a Nordstrand one?

I appreciate it's all down to taste but get amongst it folks!

Thanks in advance
Jamie

Jamie, having had one recently I can tell you, it needed no mods whatsoever. I read up on all the [i]blurb[/i] re upgrading the EQ [i]blah blah[/i], but it was nonsense IMO. All my GWB35 needed was some of the fretlines removing and re glueing as they had a tendency to pop out due to a lack of care when they were glued in in the first place. Once that was sorted the bass was perfect. Great tone from the stock electrics, MASSIVE low B too, it was a great bass, and IMO needed no upgrades at all.

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' post='1327572' date='Aug 4 2011, 06:19 PM']Tune it CGDAE?[/quote]

Yeah I was thinking that anyway as it happens.

I was thinking more along the lines of the pickup and pre-amp. I know the higher spec'd versions have better electronics in you see, just wondered if anyone had given different options a go is all!

• 1 month later...

I just got one of these off a fellow forumite. Plays very nicely.

I'm a bit confused with all the people around the web slagging off the 'existing preamp'. I can't see that ibanez claim that it has a preamp in the sense of something that will give you a big dB boost. The EQB-GWII is more like an active EQ, right?

That said, I wish there was a bypass switch to help out when the battery dies!

[quote name='Rayman' timestamp='1312467007' post='1327125']
Jamie, having had one recently I can tell you, it needed no mods whatsoever. I read up on all the [i]blurb[/i] re upgrading the EQ [i]blah blah[/i], but it was nonsense IMO. All my GWB35 needed was some of the fretlines removing and re glueing as they had a tendency to pop out due to a lack of care when they were glued in in the first place. Once that was sorted the bass was perfect. Great tone from the stock electrics, MASSIVE low B too, it was a great bass, and IMO needed no upgrades at all.
[/quote]

Had it a week, and have to say... +1

I've just installed a passive switch in it, and while I am looking forward to trying it out passive through some of my effects (not to mention being able to leave it plugged in without draining the battery) , my first impression is that there's nothing terribly wrong with the onboard EQB-GW2 EQ circuit. The frequency points suit the bass well... I was A/B'ing having the EQ switched in against the passive mode through an EBS Microbass, and tonally I preferred the onboard sound - much fuller, tighter bass, especially on the B string.

By the way, the passive switch is an easy mod as the pickup goes through a normal 500k passive volume pot before going through the active EQ.

Edited by topo morto