Why become a member? ×

Markbass...do I regret selling thee and want to buy another?!

Musicman20

Well, I think I have enough amps to realise enough is enough, and ive got no interest in cabinets at the moment.

For some unknown reason, I really miss the simplicity and clean tone of my LM3 I sold a while back. I bought it the week it came out and paid a little bit more than they are going for now, and Im sure If I asked I could get one cheaper than the advertised price, but are my ears just deceiving me?

The amp I bought in its place, the Genz Streamliner 900, is one hell of an amp. Yes, it is is pure clean tubey warmth with lots of headroom and a fascinating EQ section that sounds different with different gain settings.

I dont want to sell it, because its a unique tone Ive not really heard before. It also sounds great...its probably as close as Ill get to a Mesa Walkabout (ish) tone with a lightweight, well featured and well executed package.

But, something is telling me the LM3 flat tone is something I really like...simple, no changing of EQ apart from the VLE, and no messing about. It also means I dont have to worry about absolutely battering 'provided' (eg cheap/rubbish) cabinets that are at some of our gigs that cant really take a decent amount of juice. Granted, all amps have master controls, but using a really old cabinet and a 900W at 4 ohm head can sometimes be a bit 'eeek', and I often have the volume lower than I probably should.

Im guessing potentially that clean Markbass tone is probably almost in most micros with a bit of tweaking...

Not sure..depends how often you have used the replacements.

I liked the RH750 right out the box and that is always a good sign as it means you have a sound you can use straight away and not have to search for it.

I think you need to give amps a chance to shine in a few different situations but would be hoping that these new micros are a step on from the MB stuff in terms of digital technology.

But then watch this space..there might be a new latest thing come by soon.
I must say, I am not convinced by it myself, atm.

Familier story. Used MarkBass for a good few years then started trying out other Amps. I kept my LMII as back-up and took it out one night and am firmly back in MarkBass territory now.
The list of makes i went through was pretty comprehensive but an SA450 and LMII are "IT" now, (well maybe an F500),

I am slowly leaning more towards MarkBass. I have a Shuttle 9 and two Aguilar cabs and it sounds wonderful, but the more I use my MarkBass combo, the more my other rig starts to sound less interesting. I even played some basses the other weekend through a markBass rig in a shop and it sounded fab. So much so that I have already priced up a MarkBass F1 head with a MarkBass Traveller 1x 15 and 2 x 10. Its a slippery slope I know :)

As you know Gareth, ive gone back to MB, albeit a new (to me) F1 rather than the older class A/B heads.
I did get to compare both my SA450 and F1, both running flat at one gig during sound check. It was just me playing through my rig while i waited for the others to turn up so not really in a band situation, but at gig levels. To my ears while the SA450 was a very tiny bit thicker, or warmer, in the low end, the F1 has a bit more punch and clarity to it, while still having that nice warm MB tone and still plenty of low end.

Both the Streamliner and F1 were the first class D heads ive used, and both came along almost at the same time, and while each has its own character i dont think ill miss the Class A/B heads.

I dont regret selling my LMII and SA450, but i do wish a F500 had come along instead of the F1.

[quote name='gafbass02' post='1325305' date='Aug 3 2011, 10:11 AM']For me it's the high and low mids on separate controls I miss.[/quote]
Same here. While the Streamliner has a nice EQ section i feel its a bit limiting having just the one mid control. I love the filters on the MB heads and although you can get them in pedal form i prefer them in the head.

[quote name='Linus27' post='1325698' date='Aug 3 2011, 02:27 PM']So much so that I have already priced up a MarkBass F1 head with a MarkBass Traveller 1x 15 and 2 x 10. Its a slippery slope I know :)[/quote]
when i can track a F500 down ill be selling my F1. Just a FYI.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='1325800' date='Aug 3 2011, 04:01 PM']As you know Gareth, ive gone back to MB, albeit a new (to me) F1 rather than the older class A/B heads.
I did get to compare both my SA450 and F1, both running flat at one gig during sound check. It was just me playing through my rig while i waited for the others to turn up so not really in a band situation, but at gig levels. To my ears while the SA450 was a very tiny bit thicker, or warmer, in the low end, the F1 has a bit more punch and clarity to it, while still having that nice warm MB tone and still plenty of low end.

Both the Streamliner and F1 were the first class D heads ive used, and both came along almost at the same time, and while each has its own character i dont think ill miss the Class A/B heads.

I dont regret selling my LMII and SA450, but i do wish a F500 had come along instead of the F1.

Same here. While the Streamliner has a nice EQ section i feel its a bit limiting having just the one mid control. I love the filters on the MB heads and although you can get them in pedal form i prefer them in the head.

when i can track a F500 down ill be selling my F1. Just a FYI.[/quote]

Cheers Dave, keep me posted. I bet its not the Ferrari F1 special in red though :)

MB is like crack cocaine, you think you can kick it, but it just niggles in the back of your mind and one day when your guard is down you try one again somewhere, usually for free for the first couple of goes whilst they reestablish your GAS, and then BAM you're in over your head and in need of going cold turkey for a monthy or two to get over it all........

:)

[quote name='51m0n' post='1325850' date='Aug 3 2011, 04:44 PM']MB is like crack cocaine, you think you can kick it, but it just niggles in the back of your mind and one day when your guard is down you try one again somewhere, usually for free for the first couple of goes whilst they reestablish your GAS, and then BAM you're in over your head and in need of going cold turkey for a monthy or two to get over it all........

:)[/quote]

Yep. After all these years playing MB and feeling a bit stuck in a rut as far as amps go i got my Streamliner, and sold my SA450. When i thought i didnt like the Streamliner as much as i expected to i borrowed Clarky's F1, with the intention of doing a straight swap onc ei had tried it out on a gig.
Once i had it in my hands and then plugged it in i realised i must have it, but also liked the Streamliner again so ended up with both.
Now the Streamliner is going and im back to MB.

I give up.

[quote name='nottswarwick' post='1329286' date='Aug 5 2011, 09:50 PM']What are the LM tube ones like? Can they do the classic MB clean, and also have the tube blended for a bit of grit?[/quote]
That's the impression I got from mine, having used an LMII before the Tube.

[quote name='whynot' post='1329293' date='Aug 5 2011, 10:01 PM']That's the impression I got from mine, having used an LMII before the Tube.[/quote]

The tube doesn't really provide grit. As far as I know the SS pre-amp is similar to the LMs and the tube side has the same flat(ish) response the only real difference which is very noticeable is the slight "tube" warmth and the added harmonics you get with a tube, it can sound rather shrill but as long as you don't over do the treble it's fine. Does 100% tube and 100%SS with 50/50 and the bits in-between.
I tended towards either SS or 50/50 because the harmonics of the tube are very pleasant.

The rocker is the grindy version with no SS. Still does clean just not very.