Why become a member? ×

Replacing my Markbass F500

Toasted

The F500 will eat the Shuttle 6.0 alive!

Hmm, Markbass need to make a new higher powered F700!

I would suggest, possible, looking at the Genz Shuttlemax 9.2, or the TH RH750.

The RH750 can get very sparkly if you want it to. Also, it is very clean if you want it to be, (just ignore tubetone) and the EQ is great. Very high quality...id say out of all the micros, the quality of build is on the top.

I never run anything flat out. It's entirely my own psychological problem.

The point is that if there’s an amp I could pair with the AE210 that would give more volume then I’d like to try it.

My other rig is the F500 into an AE410 which is powerful enough for almost every situation.

[quote name='Platypus' post='1329100' date='Aug 5 2011, 06:58 PM']There is a Puma 1000 in the 'for Sale' forum - they can do 1k bridged into 8 Ohms[/quote]

absolute monster and better than the others mentioned so far in my humble opinion.

Speaking of Tec-Amp Joe, whilst I was perusing their website I spotted this: I'm pretty damn interested maself, as one of the big factors that will sway me in the competition of the small amps, is whether it will fit in a 1u rack slot. I think, along with the F1 and F500, this one is a winner, 900W at 4 Ohms

[url="http://www.tec-amp.com/index.php?id=234"]http://www.tec-amp.com/index.php?id=234[/url]

[quote name='dood' post='1329163' date='Aug 5 2011, 07:44 PM']Speaking of Tec-Amp Joe, whilst I was perusing their website I spotted this: I'm pretty damn interested maself, as one of the big factors that will sway me in the competition of the small amps, is whether it will fit in a 1u rack slot. I think, along with the F1 and F500, this one is a winner, 900W at 4 Ohms

[url="http://www.tec-amp.com/index.php?id=234"]http://www.tec-amp.com/index.php?id=234[/url]

[/quote]

looks like they've slimmed down the 300, 500 as well. These are the dark horses of the micro amp battle.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1330533' date='Aug 7 2011, 12:46 AM']Yeah the Puma looks great![/quote]

The "taste" knob and stupid picture of a puma puts me off already though.
Just makes the unit look silly, like the stupid "giant" on the front of the ashdown little giants.

I never really like anything that says something like "taste" or "enhance". It's a mid scoop knob no?

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1330797' date='Aug 7 2011, 11:46 AM']I tried a Puma amp and I had a cabinet. Its on par, quality wise, with TC. Everything looked very professionally made re: fit/finish.

I think the Taste might be like the VLE?[/quote]

I think things like aural enhancer were trade marked so that is why you got variations of the same trick. Of course, everyone would have their own spin on it and claim it as unique..so therefore you get these glut of terms.
My amp tech tells me that certain EQ stages can be reworked many many ways..some good design, some quirky or even bad practice..according to him ( he has a pretty impressive design pedigree himself, so I don't argue that point )

What SWR did, Eden copied...AIUI as did Thunderfunk, to name just a couple. Maybe what Markbass do is the same as well...but they can hardly come out and say, we nicked the idea from..???? :) :)

I think the VLE really works. Although it is just a low pass and if your cab goes super high it doesn't work so much.

But if it is a mid scoop or a mid contour control why not call it that instead of trying to create the next big thing or a useless USP.
An ideal amp for me has:
Low and is selectable between shelf and band.
Low mid
Centre mid
High mid
Highs selectable between shelf and band.
And for the preamp to be optimally flat when controls are at noon. A power amp that is truly at it says it is.

It also ha to be paper thin and weigh next to nothing..... I'm not asking much.

[quote name='Toasted' post='1330044' date='Aug 6 2011, 04:41 PM']Apparently they've switched to the B&O power module which I am a big fan of.[/quote]

Ahhh interesting! I know they were using the Powersoft modules for the Puma 1000 which are extremely good and yes the B&O power amplifiers are higher regarded too.