Why become a member? ×

Knobbing about on a Sunday evening

Bilbo

Sounds wicked Rob - great playing and tone - do some more, get creative, do some harmony stuff - you know go a little nuts... :)

Bet you could do something like this:

[url="http://mikeflynnsurb.bandcamp.com/track/sing-your-own-anthem"]http://mikeflynnsurb.bandcamp.com/track/sing-your-own-anthem[/url]

Seriously - you're a great player Rob - would love to hear some more of your stuff

[quote name='urb' post='1344565' date='Aug 18 2011, 04:38 PM']Sounds wicked Rob - great playing and tone - do some more, get creative, do some harmony stuff - you know go a little nuts... :)[/quote]

Its finding the time, Mike. I can knock out bass lines in moments but structuring a backing track takes me hours I haven't got!! Must try harder!!

[quote name='Bilbo' post='1344863' date='Aug 18 2011, 09:04 PM']Its finding the time, Mike. I can knock out bass lines in moments but structuring a backing track takes me hours I haven't got!! Must try harder!![/quote]

Great playing as always, Bilbo! :)

Collaboration might the key to backing tracks if you're struggling to find time for them. Oddly enough, I can normally knock out a drum pattern and accompaniment at short notice, but spend hours fiddling over bass lines! Horses for courses, etc, etc.

I'd offer to help you out here myself, but I currently have my hands full with the recently arrived Skol Jnr. Although there are plenty of folks here (and on other forums) who I'm sure would be happy to collaborate.

Just an idea...

[quote name='Skol303' post='1345185' date='Aug 19 2011, 10:21 AM']Although there are plenty of folks here (and on other forums) who I'm sure would be happy to collaborate.

Just an idea...[/quote]

And a very good one. But I always find myself thinking 'why'? with these things. If I could put together a major work of some intrinsic value that would contribute to the canon, it would be worth it but, if all I end up doing is produicing another 'vanity' cd that would impress my Mum and sell 11 copies, its pretty pointless. I'll keep plugging away at my composing and, may be one day, if I come up with something of merit, I can look to get it played/recorded. I am working on my own sax.bass/drums trio at the moment (which gigs) so maybe writing something for that and then recording it woudl be more useful.

[quote name='Bilbo' post='1345428' date='Aug 19 2011, 01:38 PM']...if all I end up doing is produicing another 'vanity' cd that would impress my Mum and sell 11 copies, its pretty pointless.[/quote]

^ Ha ha! Yes indeed... and there are plenty of such CDs around.

[quote name='Bilbo' post='1345428' date='Aug 19 2011, 01:38 PM']I'll keep plugging away at my composing and, may be one day, if I come up with something of merit, I can look to get it played/recorded. I am working on my own sax.bass/drums trio at the moment (which gigs) so maybe writing something for that and then recording it woudl be more useful.[/quote]

^ Sounds very interesting. I have a feeling that what you deem as being "of merit" would probably be a great achievement for most folks, so don't be too modest here Bilbo. Your trio sounds like the perfect platform for some recording work, and you'd certainly have at least one buyer in the form of yours truly. Which along with your mum would make 2! Only another 9 to go... :)

[quote name='Skol303' post='1345531' date='Aug 19 2011, 03:10 PM']^ Sounds very interesting. I have a feeling that what you deem as being "of merit" would probably be a great achievement for most folks,[/quote]

For me, the secret of a good jazz composition is that it stands alone as an interesting piece of music but that it also allows for the musicians performing it to stretch. There are some stunning through composed jazz pieces (Self Portrait in Three Colors by Mingus is one that comes to mind) but I find my preference is for the blowers, My own compositions tend to lie in that area so its about finding players who will get on board. I have a drummer to die for but my sax player, whilst a great, great player, is more 'at home' with the standard/bebop repertiore. I try to write with his needs in mind but he seems reluctant to stray out of his comfort zone. I'm working on it!!