Why become a member? ×

Did I need an excuse? NBD

Grand Wazoo

I've managed to secure a brand spanking American Standard P bass in a very dark 3-tone burst with maple neck/fingerboard, right up my street. (the date on the inside of the neck says 28 May 2011) What attracted me to it was the way it plays efforetlessly, the sound is very growly and full of bottom and to top it all up it's an 8lb'er (8.14lbs to be precise)

I have tried 7 or 8 different Fender US basses and as many Mexican including the new blacktop's (nothing to write home about, by the way) I tried a Steve Harris but didn't like the flats on it, and the only other bass I liked slightly more than this one I got was not a Fender but a Sandberg California road worn inverted split P-bass pickup with a Musicman type humbucker at the bridge. Nice but way too expensive for what I had in mind. So I chose the Fender.

It was an unbeatable deal (I cannot mention) because I found out an old friend of mine (we go back some 20 years) is the manager of this new Epsom store so, he said if you want, because it's you I can do it for....._____ to which I said yeah I'll have some of that, not as if I needed an excuse to cheer myself up after the recent events, still not sure if I should feel guilty?

Anyway.... here it is:

More pics [url="https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/sredir?uname=CaptMoto&target=ALBUM&id=5640803041573078977&authkey=Gv1sRgCOHs0q-yvd74Dg&feat=email&mode=SLIDESHOW"][b]here[/b][/url]

Edited by Grand Wazoo

Ahh so that's from the GG in Epsom? I spend so much of my life in there now it's opened :) - Fantastic shop (I think I may have met your friend as well - at least I was very well served by what appeared to be the manager while I was testing Sadowskys!)

Great looking instrument you have there - I am in the market for a P style bass as well - where did you find the Sandberg?

[quote name='Killerfridge' post='1340195' date='Aug 14 2011, 11:39 PM']Ahh so that's from the GG in Epsom? I spend so much of my life in there now it's opened :) - Fantastic shop (I think I may have met your friend as well - at least I was very well served by what appeared to be the manager while I was testing Sadowskys!)

Great looking instrument you have there - I am in the market for a P style bass as well - where did you find the Sandberg?[/quote]

There's 3 of them on one of the stands right at the back by the repairman, you can't miss them.

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' post='1340203' date='Aug 14 2011, 11:54 PM']There's 3 of them on one of the stands right at the back by the repairman, you can't miss them.[/quote]

Really? Wow, I must be completely blind! :)

Either that, or when I get back there I am too busy being dazzled by the Wal :)

[quote name='Mylkinut' post='1344388' date='Aug 18 2011, 02:09 PM']I also just picked up a P for a mega deal - a '97 to go with my '77. Might just be the best P I've ever played, love it. Guilt's for suckers.[/quote]
My sunburst/tort/rw is a 97, and is definately the best US Standard Precision I`ve ever played. From what I`ve read, Fender caught on to the Grunge movement, and in 1994 focused on the turn towards more vintage looking instruments, from the pointy hair-metal instruments of the late 80s. So the Daddys Home Campaign of 1995 seems to have coincided with mid/late 90s models being of very good quality, presumably in order to tempt people back, and keep them there.

Black plate for maple necks!! Nah I wouldn't feel guilty about a P bass, one of those basses that'll last you life and can use for pretty much everything! I've tried all sorts and ended up with a precision despite my best efforts to resist. I failed to fight off Fender in general, as a kid I thought they looked boring and "everybodys got one"...then I realised why :)

• 3 weeks later...

It has been just over 3 weeks since Ive owned this lovely bass and I must say, I am very impressed with it. After many years of trying all the different new models that Fender kept re-vamping, I can finally confirm that this particular model has restored my trust in their new production of Made in USA Fender basses. These are definately built with the"player" in mind for once, with few but effective improvements as follows:

1.) The Hipshot reduced size style tuners retain the traditional clover leaf peg but while being much lighter than standard machinehead, also work very well in keeping the bass in tune.

2.) The Vintage / Modern Hi-Mass Bridge is very functional and offers me a lot of versatility, I particularly like the fact that the saddles are slotted which allows me to set the spacing slightly wider to suit my taste, and of course it also allows you dual stringing option, either top loaded or through the body, perhaps not a lot of people have experienced or realized that this feature permits you the option of stringing the E and A through the body for deeper beefier resonance and sustain, while keeping the D & G strings top loaded for a brighter, snappier presence if you to pull them when playing slap style. A nifty yet clever touch :)

3.) The pickup is another interesting feature, I am not sure exactly what pickup Fender are fitting in these basses but one thing I've learnt is that it's sh|t hot, which explains why from factory it comes screwed in so far down in the body that I initially thought they over did it by keeping it so low but the moment I tried to adjust it up a little so I could just about anchor my thumb on it when playing, I realized how much louder it became. However I have had to reach some kind of compromise, I do need somewhere to rest my thumb so I've had to raise it just enough and I am playing the amp and bass volume down a bit, so that it's not too powerful when plucking the E and A strings.

4.) The neck on this bass was one of the main thing that sealed the deal when I was debating whether to buy or leave it, even though it's a brand new neck it has very lived in feel to it, with nice and rounded smooth edges, it just feels right, like you've owned it for the last 10 years or something, and finally this might not mean a lot but having two different textures on a maple neck for someone like me who loves a maple neck, is both pleasing to the eye and the feel of it, in facts the back of the neck has a smooth satin finish while the front has a shiny hard lacquered one. Perfick for me! :)

5.) Lastly the controls as we all know are the most basic you could ever have on a passive bass i.e. Volume and Tone but that tone control is quite effective, it has a wonderful sweep from a throathy growl all the way to a raspy bright bell like sound. If you play a note and then quickly turn the tone control knob from 0 to 10 on and off it sounds like a wah-wah pedal.

What can I say I am so happy with this bass that I have ordered the exact same one Jazz Bass which should arrive the weekend, so... review and pics to follow soon

Well done Fender USA

Edited by Grand Wazoo

I have asked where my order is for my American Standard Jazz, but its still on order. I think ill call them again today to chase.

I have to agree, although I have still played a few dogs from the past few years production.

I am tempted to get another P bass and as much as I dont want to shell out for another American Standard, I havent come across anything as good.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1366073' date='Sep 8 2011, 09:26 AM']I have asked where my order is for my American Standard Jazz, but its still on order. I think ill call them again today to chase.

I have to agree, although I have still played a few dogs from the past few years production.

I am tempted to get another P bass and as much as I dont want to shell out for another American Standard, I havent come across anything as good.[/quote]

Gareth, when you said you are still waiting.... you made me think... unless you have ordered one with a custom feature which I doubt, there should be no reason for you to wait that long because with such a popular instrument I would expect Fender UK to have a large stock ready to be sent to the stores pronto!

So, just out of curiousty I've called the store I have ordered it from (Guitar Guitar in Epsom) and asked why was it so easy for him to call Fender first thing on Mon 5th, order my American Standard Jazz 3 tone sunburst with maple fretboard and for Fender to confirm that it will be there by Friday, whereas I've heard from someone (you in this case) that they are waiting for ages for one? The reply you might not probably like: Fender delivers on the spot to clients (stores of course) who pay their invoices on time. That sadly is your answer. Your loyalty to that particular store is not paying dividends. Think about it :)

If you remember I once told you that the same thing was answered to me by another manufacturer of basses as to why they don't want to start deliver their instruments to that particular dealer. It's a bit above my head, and none of my business, but it does look like a recurring issue.

Good luck mate

Edited by Grand Wazoo

I rang GAK today (as I cancelled with the other store and re-ordered with GAK). Very very fair price as I bought a few other bits, much cheaper than everywhere else.

My Jazz has also arrived! As its mail order Im not home until Weds as thats my non-working day, so, finally, ive got one.

Ive also enquired about the MIA P bass price...I already have one, but its that good id like another.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1367755' date='Sep 9 2011, 03:39 PM']I rang GAK today (as I cancelled with the other store and re-ordered with GAK). Very very fair price as I bought a few other bits, much cheaper than everywhere else.

My Jazz has also arrived! As its mail order Im not home until Weds as thats my non-working day, so, finally, ive got one.

Ive also enquired about the MIA P bass price...I already have one, but its that good id like another.[/quote]

isnt one good bass enough for anyone?? :) :) lol