Why become a member? ×

how long ????/

christhammer666

hi guys
have just started playing again after a year off through hand injury and have just started a project with a guy. he has wrote all the music and has sent me the songs to learn and wants me to record my parts as soon as possible.
i was just wondering how long it takes you guys to learn a song from scratches wth no tabs,chords or whatever
thanks
jamie

He could at least give you the main chord patterns!

Also, is it covers or originals? If it's originals, can you change the bass parts to what you want to play? I had this situation recently and without music/tab to go off, I wasn't going to play someone else's basslines when I was coming up with things that IMO were better suited to the song (and of course my style of playing).

[quote name='christhammer666' post='1342497' date='Aug 16 2011, 10:25 PM']its all originals.he has recorded bass on the demos but has said for me to come up with my own stuff (he must be mad) :)[/quote]

So you're not really learning basslines, but coming up with them? That's a different kettle of fish.

Edited by EdwardHimself

I was approached a few months back to play bass on a rock theatrical piece based on a Belgian fairy tale (yeah, it happens all the time in my world! :) ).

There's about 45 mins of material and I was given carte blanche to do whatever I wanted with it.

I played it in the car for a few days to get an idea of what was going on and then spent about an hour reading the fairy story and relating the story back to the music.

Some of the bass lines were ok with a bit of a tweak here and there, others needed a complete rewrite as they jarred with the scene\music.
Excluding the driving time, I guess I spent about three hours on it.

The composer has more or less organised musicians and rehearsals start in October, the cast will be picked in May with a Belgian tour pencilled in next summer.

The other thing is of course the type of music, if it's tech death metal with time sig changes and runs going out of key and all over the place then it'll probably take a while to do. If it's 4/4 indie with 3 x 4-chord-patterns per song then you'll probably have it down in 5 mins.