Why become a member? ×

G&B pre amp

geoffbyrne

I see Axes R'Us are doing a 2 band pre by G&B for a very sensible price.

I've been trying to get something that suits my ear on the Ibby RD605. The original stock was pretty nasal on top of a pickup which is already a bit middy.

I first put on the Artec 3 band with the mids-sweep (there are 4 holes to fill on the bass). This was a great disappointment with the 'sweep' being almost non-existant and the treble boost minimal, however, nevertheless, to tone was improved to my ear.

I already have an Artec 2-band stacked Treble & Bass on my Hohner B Bass and am pretty happy with it, so I got the 4 pot 2 band from Artec & replaced the 3, and it was much improved (although, IMHO, not as good as the stacked model - go figure!!!), but still not where I'd like it to be. The Yamaha 2-band in my BBG5A has more cut & boost and is pretty much what I'd want.

So. while looking at the Axes'R'Us site I noticed the G&B & wondered if anyone here has used it & if so, how it might compare with the Artec 2 band?

I'm retired & all the mods & do must be self-financing, so I'm looking at this as maybe a cheap option. On the other hand, if anyone has a Yammy 2-band lying in the drawer that's surplus....... let me know!!!

G.