Why become a member? ×

Winisd help and speaker design.

AsterL

Ok. After spending the afternoon researching and using winisd I am utterly confused. So I've decided to ask for help! :)

What I want to do is this:
I have just got 2 old 15 inch Class D subs off a friend. I want to turn them into bass cabs. My plan is to remove the 15 inch speakers, baffle, and port, and add either 4 isobaricly mounted 10 inch speakers or regularly mounted 2 10s. They will fit in the front area of the new baffle (after removing the old ones and the port and adding new bass reflex tubes)

I plan to use the Eminence Basslites Ca2010 for the speakers. Now I've been trying to interoperate the plots winisd, but I have no idea what is good or bad in the plots, or if the cabs are suitable for the job.

If someone could help me figure if this is a good build idea that would greatly appreciated. The inside cabinet dimensions (after removal of all the old hardware) are:
L- 44.1325cm
W- 44.7675 cm
H-51.75cm

If anyone is interested my ultimate goal is to have 2 compact isobaric 410s that are in tweed with similar styling to a original Fender Bassman.

Sounds like you are doing things backward. There is no advantage to isobaric mounting stuff, so forget that right away, it wins you all the wieght of twice as many speakers as you need for the max spl and sensitivity it gets you. Firstly, why have you picked 10s, when you already have a 15" hole?

Ports and bass reflex tubes are the same thing, so you are removing one and putting it back again. All you really need to do is modify the tuning of the existing one, either by length of area.

[quote name='AsterL' post='1348310' date='Aug 22 2011, 07:43 PM']Ok. After spending the afternoon researching and using winisd I am utterly confused. So I've decided to ask for help! :)

What I want to do is this:
I have just got 2 old 15 inch Class D subs off a friend. I want to turn them into bass cabs. My plan is to remove the 15 inch speakers, baffle, and port, and add either 4 isobaricly mounted 10 inch speakers or regularly mounted 2 10s. They will fit in the front area of the new baffle (after removing the old ones and the port and adding new bass reflex tubes)

I plan to use the Eminence Basslites Ca2010 for the speakers. Now I've been trying to interoperate the plots winisd, but I have no idea what is good or bad in the plots, or if the cabs are suitable for the job.

If someone could help me figure if this is a good build idea that would greatly appreciated. The inside cabinet dimensions (after removal of all the old hardware) are:
L- 44.1325cm
W- 44.7675 cm
H-51.75cm

If anyone is interested my ultimate goal is to have 2 compact isobaric 410s that are in tweed with similar styling to a original Fender Bassman.[/quote]

In this case I suspect you and the rest of the world. I think the published data - the.pdf - is wrong!

For Qms, enter 7.5, not 17.5
It's been sending winISD crazy. I ended up with repetitive errors about The "floating point" and an Fs of 1592 Hz or something similarly crazy.

Balcro.

PS. I've e-mailed Eminence to get them to check it. So maybe the error messages were right after all.

Edited by Balcro

Hello AsterL,

further to my earlier post I have received a reply from Anthony at Eminence. "They have looked into it and believe their data to be correct." Ha!

Well try it for yourself. If you enter a "Qms" of 7.5 in to winISD it correctly calculates the Fs and other parameters. If you enter a value of 17.50 it produces nonsense and the oddest of response curves.

This may be one example, I suspect there may be more.

From my calculations I'm not sure you'll find the cabinet and the proposed drivers are a good match.

Balcro.

Edited by Balcro

Hello AsterL

A follow up to yesterday. - I re-installed winISD yesterday morning before getting a repeat of the errors with the Qms and Fs.

Yesterday evening after receiving Eminence's reply I ran the test again and it worked. Huh! How did that happen?
I'd followed the info on data entry in the winISD help file, just as before. Mystery.

Anyway, the figures computed, producing only a marginally different response. To verify, I changed the Qms from 17.5 to 7.5 and all it did was to flatten the humpy response in the low-mids. So I'm now chewing my way through a large slice of humble pie.

How are you getting on?

Balcro.