Why become a member? ×

Squier necks

mentalextra

Im a bit confused with these Squier guitars. I understand that they are one step below a genuine Fender with minor differences with hardware quality etc. I have been "poking" around looking for a neck for my j bass bitza. A squire would probably be a good upgrade for me. I reckon I could get a [i]complete[/i] squier affinity for £80 and sell off everything but the neck, or buy a neck with tuners for about £50. Is there any difference with the affinity necks to ordinary squier?

Thanks

I recently purchased an affinity to pimp.

I thought that the neck would be the first thing to change but I was surprised to find that it was rather good. The frets were all level with no sharp ends. I set it up with a decent low action without much in the way of fret buzz. I did discard the tuners, there was nothing wrong with them but I prefer full size ones. this did involve drilling out the holes.

I removed the existing decals and varnish/laquer.

Put on a decal of my own design and relaquered with a satin finish.

All in all it was a good job and well worth the effort

They seem a bit hit and miss as far as build quality goes. But I have noticed that you can buy the complete guitar for not much more than a neck on Ebay. I could break the remains and flog it off. I will maybe wait until after xmas when there will be a load of affinity basses on Ebay! lol

How do you check over an old or used neck? Clean it up and check for straightness. Check for level and undamaged frets. Check the nut. Check the tuners are smooth and tight. What else?

Edited by mentalextra

[quote name='mentalextra' post='1353028' date='Aug 26 2011, 09:06 PM']They seem a bit hit and miss as far as build quality goes. But I have noticed that you can buy the complete guitar for not much more than a neck on Ebay. I could break the remains and flog it off. I will maybe wait until after xmas when there will be a load of affinity basses on Ebay! lol

How do you check over an old or used neck? Clean it up and check for straightness. Check for level and undamaged frets. Check the nut. Check the tuners are smooth and tight. What else?[/quote]

That's about it, other than ensuring that the truss rod is functioning.