Why become a member? ×

OLP MM Stingray 5 string -Last Post - £165 or offers/trades

MikeBass

OLP ERNIE BALL STINGRAY BASS. £165 or make me an offer.......Final Post before I keep and mod.

This is one of the older models (date unknown) with clear lacquer over the body - before OLP started to put the mock 'tiger stripe' overlay on the front of the body.
The neck is Maple with maple fingerboard and 21 frets and has no noticable signs of fret wear.
will probably need new strings....and I chipped the nut yesterdayso, will need new nut
The bridge, control plate, knobs, neck plate and tuners are all chrome finish and are all in good condition. one vol knob feels slightly 'loose'.
It plays well and sounds great, the large passive humbucker pickup has two volume controls and one tone control. Setting both volumes full gives a Musicman sound or turn one back to give a more Jazz bass bridge pickup sound.
This is a great bass but I prefer active basses and am selling the OLP to fund an active 5 string, I'm also not keen on maple fingerboards (preferring rosewood or wenge).
OLP were licenced by Musicman and were made with much more care and far better components than a cheap branded copy,
OLP stopped making these in 2008 when the licence was withdrawn, The popular opinion being that they were so well made that people were buying them and upgrading them in preference to the much more expensive Musicman, so these are becoming scarce and desirable now.

I will be sorry to see this bass go but I have too many basses and I have my eye on an active bass. She who must be listened to says "one in, one out"!!!

Could post but collection/meeting up is preferable.

any interest ?
[attachment=87980:OLP_full.jpg]
[attachment=87981:OLP_body.jpg]
[attachment=87982:OLP_HS.jpg]

these have been going on eBay for up to £185 recently so....for basschatters I will let it go for around £165 or make me an offer!

may be interested in trades for active 5 strings (ie spector, jazz bass, warwicks)- not too pricey though - or jazz bass (squier VM, parts etc)

any more info, pix etc - contact me.

Edited by MikeBass

[quote name='janmaat' post='1357418' date='Aug 31 2011, 12:40 PM']I put a 2 band active preamp, faithful reproduction of the pre-eb-pre, made by Higgie here from the forum into mine and have discarded any intention to ever get rid of it since.[/quote]

yeah, am thinking of doing that as it plays great - would just like the active option too - any link to Higgie's pre in case I cant find it?

thanks,
mike

[quote name='janmaat' post='1359024' date='Sep 1 2011, 05:25 PM']He's the man to ask about the pre :) he might still have one, or can make one...

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showuser=305"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showuser=305[/url][/quote]

thanks for that.
will contact him if I decide to keep it.