Why become a member? ×

Headstock decals

Paul S

I recently applied a headstock decal and I am 90% pleased with how it looks as it is a vast improvement over the bad copy that was on the bass when I got it. But there is 5% of me that is concerned that the edges of the decal are still raised and visible after application of 3 coats of lacquer. If I just continue to build up layers, then flat it all down, should this disappear?

Ta!

Edited by Paul S

[quote name='Paul S' post='1353593' date='Aug 27 2011, 02:35 PM']If I just continue to build up layers, then flat it all down, should this disappear?

Ta![/quote]

Think you have answered your own question.
In an ideal world you would flat each layer of laquer down to the decal from coat 1 until the edges dissapear. Then apply a couple of all over coats, but I tried that and buggered the decal up so next time I just appplied a couple of thin layers and left it.

Brilliant! Thanks chaps.

This is going to sound like a dumb question, and I think I know the answer.... I bought satin finish lacquer, not fully appreciating that eventually I would be polishing it and making it glossy :) . I am assuming it would make no to little difference if I mix and match satin and gloss, as I will need to get some more?

Edited by Paul S