Why become a member? ×

String Identification

apa

Recently inherited some strings from a VM Jazz. Love them and want to get some more but Im buggered if I know what they are............

Round wound, [color="#FF0000"]Red[/color] silk at the ring and [color="#0000FF"]Blue[/color] silk at the tail. All rings are Steel/Crome. The only ones close are the Steve Harris Signature Jazz77's by Rotosound but they are Flats. (He had them but the red and blue on because he's a West Ham Fan!)

Oh if Ive missed a string ID thread my appolagies but I did do a few searches on here but got nothing. Sounds like a good idea if you ask me :)

Cheers in advance

A

Edited by apa

[quote name='chrismuzz' post='1356629' date='Aug 30 2011, 06:12 PM']The only strings I know of with that colour combination are Elites. But I don't know if they do brass strings or not. I hope that helps![/quote]

Well funny you should say that because I was told they were Elites but the set that I bought were Player Series 45's and they dont sound at all the same and had no silks on!

Could they be another series?

Oh and just double checked. The ones Im after have Steel/Crome Rings. My bad!!

A

[quote name='chrismuzz' post='1356629' date='Aug 30 2011, 06:12 PM']The only strings I know of with that colour combination are Elites. But I don't know if they do brass strings or not. I hope that helps![/quote]
Yep, first thing I thought of too. Horrible things.

The un silked ones are the 'Player' Series which are nickel plated and yes they are Horrible things silddx :) But the red/blue silked ones are lovely, very tonal and rich. So it might be the 'Stadium' Series then chrismuzz?

A

Yeah they're the ones I used to use. The only strings i preferred soundwise to the Newtones I have now! Very bright, and work well with an aggressive attack. They're definately worth trying out and theyre cheaper than a lot of brands too. I hope they're the ones you're after dude :)

[quote name='apa' post='1356938' date='Aug 30 2011, 10:07 PM']The un silked ones are the 'Player' Series which are nickel plated and yes they are Horrible things silddx :) But the red/blue silked ones are lovely, very tonal and rich. So it might be the 'Stadium' Series then chrismuzz?

A[/quote]
I used Stadium Elites for ages but that was when I had no taste and thought they must be good because they were called 'Elites'. I use DRs now because they really ARE good. The Stadium Elites died quickly in my hands.

Hmmm well it looks like it they are the Stadium series but there does also seem to be an emphasis on 'DID' and 'USED TO'. Hmmmm now Im all for a bit of experimentation so DR's are even more tonal and rich? Well they should be for the money!! Which DR's exactly silddx? Might splash out on a set for my posh Jazz Im currently assembling :)

A

[quote name='chrismuzz' post='1356954' date='Aug 30 2011, 10:23 PM']Yeah they're the ones I used to use. The only strings i preferred soundwise to the Newtones I have now! Very bright, and work well with an aggressive attack. They're definately worth trying out and theyre cheaper than a lot of brands too. I hope they're the ones you're after dude :)[/quote]

Currently loving my ACG with custom drop C newtones :)

[quote name='apa' post='1357127' date='Aug 31 2011, 07:32 AM']Hmmm well it looks like it they are the Stadium series but there does also seem to be an emphasis on 'DID' and 'USED TO'. Hmmmm now Im all for a bit of experimentation so DR's are even more tonal and rich? Well they should be for the money!! Which DR's exactly silddx? Might splash out on a set for my posh Jazz Im currently assembling :)

A[/quote]

Everyone has their own favourites on here, but the (very) general consensus seems to favour the following brands;
(with caveats attached)

[b]DR[/b] - Can be excellent, but with a question mark over recent quality issues. Expensive.
[b]Elixir[/b] - Coated. Last ages. Coating wears, especially with a plectrum. Some don't like the tone/ feel. Some do!
[b]Thomastik-Infeld (TI)[/b] - Relatively hard to get. Expensive. Flats are superb and lower tension than usual.
[b]D'Addario[/b] - Seem well liked. Not heard many gripes.
[b]Status[/b] - Good range. Relatively inexpensive, but availability can vary somewhat.
[b]Rotosound[/b] - Polarize opinion. Very bright to begin with, but die quickly with lots of sweat etc. Some shops seem to have stock from 1960 still.
[b]Elites[/b] - A brand once heavily connected to "The Bass Centre". Less so now. Cheap(ish) and cheerful. They seem/sound ok and last well. Until you try a more expensive brand.
[b]Ernie Ball[/b] - Another one which polarizes opinion. Some love them, others.... don't
[b]Warwick[/b] - Red label are cheap, bright and die young. Yellows are Nickel and are pretty ok, last a while and don't cost a fortune. Blacks are supposed to be really good, but I've not tried them. The pack of EMPs (coated) I had were a joke in terms of sound per pound. They were all dead before they hit the bass.

There are loads of others; Many instrument makers have their own brand (from Fender to Ken Smith and back!) Picato, Newtone, Pyramid, and LaBella to name but few and plenty I've probably forgotten.
The trick seems to be;

[b]Find a brand that you like the tone/feel of[/b]
[b]That reliably produce good quality strings[/b]
[b]Which are readily available[/b]
[b]That are manufactured in the Gauge and Scale you want[/b]
[b]That work well with the instrument in question[/b] Including actually fitting it!
[b]Which are suitably durable[/b]
[b]And don't necessitate a second mortgage[/b]
[b]Then all you need to do is find a retailer that rotates their stock and turns it over swiftly so you're assured of geting a fresh set[/b]

And because it's so subjective, EVERYONE'S mileage will vary.

To Quote JC (No. Jeremy Clarkson) "Really,How hard can it be?"

Very. And frustrating. But when you get the right mix of Instrument/Strings/Pick-ups/Electrics/Amp, it all just "clicks"

Edited by Lfalex v1.1

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' post='1357344' date='Aug 31 2011, 11:49 AM']Everyone has their own favourites on here, but the (very) general consensus seems to favour the following brands;
(with caveats attached)

[b]DR[/b] - Can be excellent, but with a question mark over recent quality issues. Expensive.
[b]Elixir[/b] - Coated. Last ages. Coating wears, especially with a plectrum. Some don't like the tone/ feel. Some do!
[b]Thomastik-Infeld (TI)[/b] - Relatively hard to get. Expensive. Flats are superb and lower tension than usual.
[b]D'Addario[/b] - Seem well liked. Not heard many gripes.
[b]Status[/b] - Good range. Relatively inexpensive, but availability can vary somewhat.
[b]Rotosound[/b] - Polarize opinion. Very bright to begin with, but die quickly with lots of sweat etc. Some shops seem to have stock from 1960 still.
[b]Elites[/b] - A brand once heavily connected to "The Bass Centre". Less so now. Cheap(ish) and cheerful. They seem/sound ok and last well. Until you try a more expensive brand.
[b]Ernie Ball[/b] - Another one which polarizes opinion. Some love them, others.... don't
[b]Warwick[/b] - Red label are cheap, bright and die young. Yellows are Nickel and are pretty ok, last a while and don't cost a fortune. Blacks are supposed to be really good, but I've not tried them. The pack of EMPs (coated) I had were a joke in terms of sound per pound. They were all dead before they hit the bass.

There are loads of others; Many instrument makers have their own brand (from Fender to Ken Smith and back!) Picato, Newtone, Pyramid, and LaBella to name but few and plenty I've probably forgotten.
The trick seems to be;

[b]Find a brand that you like the tone/feel of[/b]
[b]That reliably produce good quality strings[/b]
[b]Which are readily available[/b]
[b]That are manufactured in the Gauge and Scale you want[/b]
[b]That work well with the instrument in question[/b] Including actually fitting it!
[b]Which are suitably durable[/b]
[b]And don't necessitate a second mortgage[/b]
[b]Then all you need to do is find a retailer that rotates their stock and turns it over swiftly so you're assured of geting a fresh set[/b]

And because it's so subjective, EVERYONE'S mileage will vary.

To Quote JC (No. Jeremy Clarkson) "Really,How hard can it be?"

Very. And frustrating. But when you get the right mix of Instrument/Strings/Pick-ups/Electrics/Amp, it all just "clicks"[/quote]

All very true Lfalex :) and thanks for that. We can talk and talkbut until your fingers do the talking theirs not much point. Im going to get a set of Elite Stadium 45's. You wanna know why? Because I like them. Finding a nice set of strings is a bit like finding good music: Its usually by accident :) Ill ponder over a nice set of ground/pressure wounds for my other posh fretless Jazz........................

A

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' post='1357566' date='Aug 31 2011, 02:19 PM']I'm glad you've found a set you like and that suits you. Ive only managed it on 4 out of 10 instruments, and they're all from different manufacturers. Generally 40-100 or 45,65,80,100 (give or take a 125 here and there), though.[/quote]

Thanks. I have different types from different manufacturers on all mine. Loving my GHS Bright flats, GHS Nylons, Cromes, Elite Stadiums and the Roto Nylons. Going off Roto Rounds and Ground Wounds and not too impressed with Elite Players.

A