Why become a member? ×

Stingray with Chromes is Mighty!!!!

mcnach

That's all.

I can't get over the sheer beastly tone, the growl, you get with these strings!
(it helps if you start with a good instrument, of course) :)

My black OLP MM2, passive, fitted with an alnico Seymour Duncan SMB4A. I removed the ageing rounds it had a while ago and fitted these D'Addario Chromes 45-105. Wow.
Very slappable too, just not ultra bright, but not as dull as most flats.

I must get around to recording it. I'm going to the Richt Hoat Chillis rehearsal tonight with this one!

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1356785' date='Aug 30 2011, 08:13 PM']You have given me an idea there mate, I might stick some on my 2002 that I'm considering trading and keep it instead. Hhmm.....[/quote]

You should NOT get rid off that beauty. UNless I am in a position to purchase it from you, that is :)

Seriously, try a set of Chromes (not any flats, but Chromes specifically)... and see what you think. After hearing what it's done to the OLP, I was very tempted to put another set on my Stingray (leaving just the other OLP with rounds)...

[quote name='mcnach' post='1356753' date='Aug 30 2011, 07:51 PM']That's all.

I can't get over the sheer beastly tone, the growl, you get with these strings!
(it helps if you start with a good instrument, of course) :)

My black OLP MM2, passive, fitted with an alnico Seymour Duncan SMB4A. I removed the ageing rounds it had a while ago and fitted these D'Addario Chromes 45-105. Wow.
Very slappable too, just not ultra bright, but not as dull as most flats.

I must get around to recording it. I'm going to the Richt Hoat Chillis rehearsal tonight with this one![/quote]

I Can't believe you've only just done this!

[quote name='Prime_BASS' post='1357293' date='Aug 31 2011, 11:10 AM']I Can't believe you've only just done this![/quote]

Me neither!!! :)

For a long time I thought flats = indistinct tone loved by old farts who can't hear the top end anyway :)
(now I'll go and hide from the stones some will want to throw at me because of the previous sentence...)

The OLP last night was great. And yes, you can definitely play "blackeyed blonde" with flats and sound tremendous!
I did miss the preamp a bit... no biggie, but yes, this bass will end up "activated".

Edited by mcnach

[quote name='mcnach' post='1358130' date='Aug 31 2011, 09:30 PM']Me neither!!! :)

For a long time I thought flats = indistinct tone loved by old farts who can't hear the top end anyway :)
(now I'll go and hide from the stones some will want to throw at me because of the previous sentence...)

The OLP last night was great. And yes, you can definitely play "blackeyed blonde" with flats and sound tremendous!
I did miss the preamp a bit... no biggie, but yes, this bass will end up "activated".[/quote]

Heh, we all think silly things from time to time.

I once believed 5ers were the stupidest invention ever, and you'd want to be completely daft to even consider one...

[quote name='Darkstrike' post='1358201' date='Aug 31 2011, 10:32 PM']Heh, we all think silly things from time to time.

I once believed 5ers were the stupidest invention ever, and you'd want to be completely daft to even consider one...[/quote]

Well, I once thought bass was boring... :)

I still remember the day I changed my mind. It was like "whoa, so THIS is what bass is all about!" and never looked back. It was at a jam session at a hotel in the Highlands. Nobody wanted to play bass so I gave my guitar to someone and I took the bass. I am not a great bassist, and I was even worse back then... but I remember feeling the immense power, and loved that people danced to what *I* dictated... it was very appealing to the megalomaniac inside :)

[quote name='mcnach' post='1358130' date='Aug 31 2011, 09:30 PM']Me neither!!! :)

I did miss the preamp a bit... no biggie, but yes, this bass will end up "activated".[/quote]

On my ray, thEre is still plenty of top end but a different kind of top end. More pop than ping.