Why become a member? ×

Funny Innit ..

xilddx

Over the past couple of months, I have hardly played bass at home, but I play guitar every day. And when I go to rehearsals as a bassist and play songs we know, and work on new songs, I am a much better bassist. I am more fluid, more imaginative, more dynamic, more expressive and more comfortable. I am also playing more with a pick and right hand damping more. Along with the volume pedal which has become a large part of my natural style, I am really feeling it now, not just mechanical.

I am a much better player through not playing at home. Not that I am advocating this approach you understand.

I am finally happy not being a reader, I got fed up of feeling guilty about it and shed that stupid burden.

I am a happy bassist (for a f***ing change :)).

Edited by silddx

[quote name='Gust0o' post='1356847' date='Aug 30 2011, 08:57 PM']One of whatever Nigel is having, please - this is the most mellow I've seen him. It's infectious to the point of pricking even my grump :)[/quote]
:) nice one.

Sipsmith Sloe Gin mate. Awesome sh*t and more addictive than heroin. The Damson Vodka is on its way!

[url="http://www.sipsmith.com/"]http://www.sipsmith.com/[/url]

Edited by silddx

Whilst reading can be thoroughly recommended for certain musical activities, my feeling is that it can be a hinderance when it comes down to developing your own style and forming interpretations.

Sort of like expecting artists to become great by using painting by numbers.

[quote name='silddx' post='1356854' date='Aug 30 2011, 09:01 PM']Sipsmith Sloe Gin mate. Awesome sh*t and more addictive than heroin.[/quote]

You can get that in Algeria then? :)

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=152780"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=152780[/url]

[quote name='Ian Savage' post='1356860' date='Aug 30 2011, 09:04 PM']You can get that in Algeria then? :)

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=152780"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=152780[/url][/quote]

Only if you wear the right hat.

Nice thread. He's alright actually. Collects beer mats in his spare time and had a few off me for a good price. His bunker is plastered with them. Old Hooky is his favourite, reminds him of a friend.

[quote name='Bilbo' post='1357215' date='Aug 31 2011, 10:07 AM']It'll never last....[/quote]
It will last until I discover a real need to read. I did some learning about 6 months ago and I know I could do it with the right motivation.

I just don't need to read, Bilbo, that's the crux of the biscuit. But being told so often that I should learn to read by people on here made me feel guilty and incomplete as a musician. That's how basschat can f*** you up if you don't have a steel heart. I can't seem to stay away though :)

I can completely relate to this.

My biggest leap forward in bass playing occurred after a 5 year break from playing bass as my main instrument which included a 2 year break from playing in a band. When I started again I was playing fretless (something I'd never done before) on over half the songs in my new band within 6 months of joining them.

Recently I've been doing most of my song writing on the guitar and I'm finding that my 6-string skills are considerably better than they were last time I was the guitarist in a band.

That's why I'm a big believer in being able to play more than one musical instrument.

I dont read music and Ive never been in a position to need to.

Hey, my singer/acoustic guitarist, as tight and as good as he is, doesnt even know the chords/notes he is playing, he just says 'fifth fret', to which I say, 'oh an A' or whatever.

I would like to learn, but I seriously have little time, and what time I do have is for practicing with bands, gigging, golf, or (trying) to keep fit.

Maybe one day. I appreciate its a very good skill to have.

[quote name='BigRedX' post='1357226' date='Aug 31 2011, 10:17 AM']I can completely relate to this.

My biggest leap forward in bass playing occurred after a 5 year break from playing bass as my main instrument which included a 2 year break from playing in a band. When I started again I was playing fretless (something I'd never done before) on over half the songs in my new band within 6 months of joining them.

Recently I've been doing most of my song writing on the guitar and I'm finding that my 6-string skills are considerably better than they were last time I was the guitarist in a band.

That's why I'm a big believer in being able to play more than one musical instrument.[/quote]
Absolutely mate. They feed eachother don't they. For me anyway, there is so much synergy to be had from playing bass, guitar, some drums, and singing. If I had enough time, I'd be learning piano.

[quote name='silddx' post='1357221' date='Aug 31 2011, 10:14 AM']It will last until I discover a real need to read. I did some learning about 6 months ago and I know I could do it with the right motivation.

I just don't need to read, Bilbo, that's the crux of the biscuit. But being told so often that I should learn to read by people on here made me feel guilty and incomplete as a musician. That's how basschat can f*** you up if you don't have a steel heart. I can't seem to stay away though :)[/quote]

I'm in a similar position, I get to a point where I can sight read straightforward stuff and work out complicated stuff with a little time but then real life gets in the way and when I eventually go back to reading I'm struggling again. The kind of bands I've been in I've never needed it but there's a wealth of material out there I'd like to be able to read through so I'll keep trying.

[quote name='silddx' post='1357234' date='Aug 31 2011, 10:23 AM']Absolutely mate. They feed eachother don't they. For me anyway, there is so much synergy to be had from playing bass, guitar, some drums, and singing. If I had enough time, I'd be learning piano.[/quote]

I think you would have to learn to read music if you played the piano. But yeah i do notice that if i give playing a rest for a while (as if i ever actually play properly anyway lol) it seems to make me better as a bass player when i come back to it.

[quote name='EdwardHimself' post='1357240' date='Aug 31 2011, 10:28 AM']I think you would have to learn to read music if you played the piano. But yeah i do notice that if i give playing a rest for a while (as if i ever actually play properly anyway lol) it seems to make me better as a bass player when i come back to it.[/quote]
Not at all. I play keyboards, although it's my weakest instrument, and unless I actually wanted to play a written score, reading is of no use to me at all.

Edited by BigRedX

[quote name='EdwardHimself' post='1357240' date='Aug 31 2011, 10:28 AM']I think you would have to learn to read music if you played the piano.[/quote]
I'm not so sure I would.

To follow my usual cooking analogy ..

I look at reading music as following a recipe and ending up with a plate of food.

I see theory as much more important than reading, understanding how the ingredients work together, learning the intricacies of why established well known recipes work, why they are tasty and popular. Learning various cooking techniques - once you can make a roux, you can make all kinds of sauces etc. The theory will help you create your own recipes.

There are occasions where theory and technique involve following recipies, but there are several ways of learning these recipies beyond reading from a book.

Edited by silddx

[quote name='silddx' post='1356833' date='Aug 30 2011, 08:52 PM']Over the past couple of months, I have hardly played bass at home, but I play guitar every day. And when I go to rehearsals as a bassist and play songs we know, and work on new songs, I am a much better bassist. I am more fluid, more imaginative, more dynamic, more expressive and more comfortable.[/quote]
[quote name='BigRedX' post='1357226' date='Aug 31 2011, 10:17 AM']I can completely relate to this.

My biggest leap forward in bass playing occurred after a 5 year break from playing bass as my main instrument which included a 2 year break from playing in a band.[/quote]

I found exactly the same thing.
Lost all interest in playing bass & just played keyboards & guitar for years.
I'm a lot happier with my bass playing now I've gone back to it because I don't obsess over it like I used to.

Personal circumstances stop me from being able to commit to playing with other people at present, but the times I have done since picking up the bass again I've found I enjoy it more than ever, and am comfortable utilising my strengths on the instrument rather than just worrying about my weaknesses like I always used to.

[quote name='BigRedX' post='1357247' date='Aug 31 2011, 10:36 AM']Not at all. I play keyboards, although it's my weakest instrument, and unless I actually wanted to play a written score, reading is of no use to me at all.[/quote]

And why is it your weakest instrument do you think?...

[quote name='silddx' post='1357256' date='Aug 31 2011, 10:41 AM']I'm not so sure I would.

To follow my usual cooking analogy ..

I look at reading music as following a recipe and ending up with a plate of food.

I see theory as much more important than reading, understanding how the ingredients work together, learning the intricacies of why established well known recipes work, why they are tasty and popular. Learning various cooking techniques - once you can make a roux, you can make all kinds of sauces etc. The theory will help you create your own recipes.

There are occasions where theory and technique involve following recipies, but there are several ways of learning these recipies beyond reading from a book.[/quote]

I don't think reading a recipie out of a book is something that has to be "learned". I think it's something that any old fool can do really. I think the piano is more of a theory based instrument than the guitar or the bass because of it's layout. If you want to play the occasional song on the piano that you learn just by listening to a song then fine but really if you want to become very good on the piano, it's more than just sitting down and playing it. I know this because i've never been able to get any good at the piano from just sitting down and playing songs.

[quote name='EdwardHimself' post='1357286' date='Aug 31 2011, 11:05 AM']And why is it your weakest instrument do you think?...

I don't think reading a recipie out of a book is something that has to be "learned". I think it's something that any old fool can do really. I think the piano is more of a theory based instrument than the guitar or the bass because of it's layout. If you want to play the occasional song on the piano that you learn just by listening to a song then fine but really if you want to become very good on the piano, it's more than just sitting down and playing it. I know this because i've never been able to get any good at the piano from just sitting down and playing songs.[/quote]
I don't agree mate.

The piano is one of the easiest instruments to learn theory on because it has a linear layout. An instrument with courses (such as a guitar) makes it a three dimensional instrument and therefore more difficult to learn and apply theory to.

[quote name='silddx' post='1357256' date='Aug 31 2011, 10:41 AM']I see theory as much more important than reading[/quote]
I wouldn't disagree with that...
Problem is, by having no reading skills, learning and understanding theory will be a slower and more arduous task.

Learning to read may not necessarily make you a better player, but it will make you more employable. Of course, that may not be important to you...

If you don't read but you're enjoying your playing, then you certainly shouldn't feel guilty. If you enjoy it, then, there's a good chance that others will enjoy it. :)

Edited by SteveK

[quote name='EdwardHimself' post='1357286' date='Aug 31 2011, 11:05 AM']And why is it your weakest instrument do you think?...[/quote]
Because I don't put anything like as much time in playing keyboards as I do guitar and bass. These days all my keyboard playing is to get MIDI in my DAW. In this instance it doesn't have to be perfect, just close enough to have the notes in roughly the right place on the screen so I can fine tune the parameters in the software.

Since all the music comes out of my head, for me being able to read is low down on my list of priorities. It makes no difference to my keyboard skills (or lack thereof).

Besides this thread is about progress on an instrument by playing another, not about being able to read.

[quote name='BigRedX' post='1357341' date='Aug 31 2011, 11:47 AM']Besides this thread is about progress on an instrument by playing another, not about being able to read.[/quote]

I have alwasy felt that my progress as a rounded musician is tied in very closely to my reading. I play guitar and read guitar charts (slowly), I write charts for other musicians (inc transposing instruments), I arrange stuff, read theory books etc all of which would be that much harder without the dots. My guitar playing (which is fair) does not improve my bass playing, it improves my understanding of the bigger picture, musically. THAT is what improves my playing.

I would also add that reading/playing through Bach Cello Suites has really improved my ear as well as my reading.