Why become a member? ×

What cab am I really looking for?

bobpalt

I have been through a number of cabs in the last year, constantly looking for the Holy Grail, but the fact of the matter is, I really dont know what I'm looking for!

I do have a number of criteria, and money is no real object, but apart from the cab I use for practice (a 15" EBS non-neo with no tweeter), everything else I have tried seems to have too much "mid" for my, admittedly shot-away, hearing. I play in a covers band that majors on rock and 70s music.

I currently gig with a Dr Bass 1580 cab, which I am very happy with, although I have the mid and tweeter levels turned down low. Its extremely light and easy to carry to gigs, simple to use and very well built, but I cant help feeling that it wasnt a particularly expensive cab, and there must be much better cabs out there. I tend to use a Yamaha 2024x bass, or an ACG to gig with, sometimes a Status S2 or a Pedulla Thunderbolt, and love a more "vintage" tone, for a better word. My amp is a TC RH 750, and the cabs I have tried and dismissed were TC 210 and 212 combination, Genz Benz Neox 212, and a couple of others. Its pretty obvious I must prefer 15" speakers over 12", and dont get on with 10" speakers at all. I much enjoy the modern, light weight cabs as well.

I was looking at an Accugroove Whappo Junior, but was put off by the fact that the mid and tweeter werent controllable, but to achieve an improvement in quality over my Dr Bass (which as I said, is very good), what on earth should I be looking at? I think all I have done is confuse myself, and maybe I should gig with my practice cab!!

Hmm, tough one. I think we all crave the holy grail cabinet, but I find its hard to pin it down. For me, my Aguilar DB212 is my favourite all time cabinet, but I do also like the TC cabs. As you can imagine, this means Im quite happy with mids being prominent.

When it comes to it, I guess its not necessarily the speakers, but the overall design and tone goals you need to check out. Even the Genz Neo X 212T is quite 'mid' present by all the reports ive heard.

Does it have to be within a certain weight range?

You might be plesantly suprised with the Orange OBC115.

[quote name='bobpalt' post='1358467' date='Sep 1 2011, 09:39 AM']I was looking at an Accugroove Whappo Junior, but was put off by the fact that the mid and tweeter werent controllable, but to achieve an improvement in quality over my Dr Bass (which as I said, is very good), what on earth should I be looking at? I think all I have done is confuse myself, and maybe I should gig with my practice cab!![/quote]

That's what I'd do - no harm in trying it! Variable attenuators on tweeters work fine (power is low and smooth response isn't so critical) as long as the crossover is designed around them. On midrange units they reduce amplifier headroom, increase the risk of cab damage in very loud situations and rarely merely turn the midrange up and down as they interact with the crossover components and cause the roll-off points and slopes to shift. Better to use the pickup pan on your bass and the active EQ on your amp and/or bass to adjust your mids.

Your conclusion that you prefer 15"s to other sizes is flawed because you can't accurately group the sound of speakers by woofer size. It sounds like you prefer smoother, fatter cabs - doesn't matter what size speakers you use to get that sound as long as you get that sound!

Have a chat with Alex at Barefaced - he'll either have something to suit or recommend a sensible direction to go in...

[url="http://barefacedbass.com/"]http://barefacedbass.com/[/url]

Mark

[quote name='bobpalt' post='1358467' date='Sep 1 2011, 09:39 AM']I have been through a number of cabs in the last year, constantly looking for the Holy Grail, but the fact of the matter is, I really dont know what I'm looking for!

I do have a number of criteria, and money is no real object, but apart from the cab I use for practice (a 15" EBS non-neo with no tweeter), everything else I have tried seems to have too much "mid" for my, admittedly shot-away, hearing. I play in a covers band that majors on rock and 70s music.

I currently gig with a Dr Bass 1580 cab, which I am very happy with, although I have the mid and tweeter levels turned down low. Its extremely light and easy to carry to gigs, simple to use and very well built, but I cant help feeling that it wasnt a particularly expensive cab, and there must be much better cabs out there. I tend to use a Yamaha 2024x bass, or an ACG to gig with, sometimes a Status S2 or a Pedulla Thunderbolt, and love a more "vintage" tone, for a better word. My amp is a TC RH 750, and the cabs I have tried and dismissed were TC 210 and 212 combination, Genz Benz Neox 212, and a couple of others. Its pretty obvious I must prefer 15" speakers over 12", and dont get on with 10" speakers at all. I much enjoy the modern, light weight cabs as well.

I was looking at an Accugroove Whappo Junior, but was put off by the fact that the mid and tweeter werent controllable, but to achieve an improvement in quality over my Dr Bass (which as I said, is very good), what on earth should I be looking at? I think all I have done is confuse myself, and maybe I should gig with my practice cab!![/quote]

[quote name='markstuk' post='1358608' date='Sep 1 2011, 11:27 AM']Have a chat with Alex at Barefaced - he'll either have something to suit or recommend a sensible direction to go in...

[url="http://barefacedbass.com/"]http://barefacedbass.com/[/url]

Mark[/quote]

I`ll echo that. I too like a vintage sound, and have been very impressed with my Barefaced Compact/Midget set-up.

With the BF cabs, they really put out what you put in, so to speak. Fender Precision with old roundwounds, into an Ampeg, into my BF stack - amazing tones.

Edited by Lozz196

I realise that they are very new to the market but you could have a look at Dave Perry's 3 way EAD cabs Bob. You have the option then of attenuating the mid ranged driver and the tweeter to suit your requirements.

They are built to Dave's very high standards and if you were at the Moffat Bass Bash (I think you were) you may know how good his prototype sounded in the back to back comparisons.

Yes I'm a fan and Dave's a friend but regardless they are well worth a look.

[url="http://www.extendedaudiodesign.co.uk/"]http://www.extendedaudiodesign.co.uk/[/url]

Peter

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='1358698' date='Sep 1 2011, 12:48 PM']I realise that they are very new to the market but you could have a look at Dave Perry's 3 way EAD cabs Bob. You have the option then of attenuating the mid ranged driver and the tweeter to suit your requirements.

They are built to Dave's very high standards and if you were at the Moffat Bass Bash (I think you were) you may know how good his prototype sounded in the back to back comparisons.

Yes I'm a fan and Dave's a friend but regardless they are well worth a look.

[url="http://www.extendedaudiodesign.co.uk/"]http://www.extendedaudiodesign.co.uk/[/url]

Peter[/quote]

+1,000,000

Have you thought it might be nothing to do with the cabs you're using & more to do with your EQing?
I like a big fat bassy tone & get this using an Ibanez SR1000 through a couple of Moog pedals (the MF-101 fattens everything up nicely) & into a Markbass 2x10 combo stood vertically (EQ set fairly flat with the treble rolled off a little, VLE @ 10 o'clock & VPF @ 9 o'clock). The rest of the EQing from the Bass Murf.
Fair enough my biggest gigs without PA are only @ 350 people, but any bigger & we get a PA & the combo is then used just for a monitor.

My two suggestions are BF Compact (very natural, but full sound...no need for tweetish things and an easy move) or a Bag End S15 (small, very musical all rounder, but doesn't do the really low stuff that gets in the way and is a bit heavy by modern standards).

Now I'm getting really confused!!

Thanks for all the advice guys. The EAD cabs look really interesting, as long as the tone is not too "hi fi", for want of a better word. I'll have to give this a lot more thought than I thought I would have to think.....................

Bob

[quote name='bobpalt' post='1358467' date='Sep 1 2011, 09:39 AM']I have been through a number of cabs in the last year, constantly looking for the Holy Grail, but the fact of the matter is, I really dont know what I'm looking for!

I do have a number of criteria, and money is no real object, but apart from the cab I use for practice (a 15" EBS non-neo with no tweeter), everything else I have tried seems to have [b]too much "mid" [/b]for my, admittedly shot-away, hearing. I play in a covers band that majors on rock and 70s music.[/quote]

Looks like a lot of people are suggesting mid heavy cabs. The Aguilar GS cabs are noted for their scoop, and olschool sort of people dig them when they try them.

[quote name='larrybassman' post='1359135' date='Sep 1 2011, 07:28 PM']Hi, Stick with 15 inch speakers or even multiples of 12 inch speakers , 10 inch are far too middly and dont really have that real depth that 15's do. I can honestly say that I have tried them all and found 10 inch speaker far too middy and toppy, we are after all BASS players.[/quote]
What a load of baloney!

Diameter has 0 to do with how much bass a cab will produce. I used to have a 2x15" rig & it isn't anywhere near as "Bassy" as my current rig. That is down to the cabs & how efficient the drivers actually are & not that the fact that they was 15"s.

[quote name='larrybassman' post='1359135' date='Sep 1 2011, 07:28 PM']Hi, Stick with 15 inch speakers or even multiples of 12 inch speakers , 10 inch are far too middly and dont really have that real depth that 15's do. I can honestly say that I have tried them all and found 10 inch speaker far too middy and toppy, we are after all BASS players.[/quote]

Nope, you are very misguided, diameter has nothing to do with tone at all.

[quote name='51m0n' post='1359351' date='Sep 1 2011, 11:29 PM']Nope, you are very misguided, diameter has nothing to do with tone at all.[/quote]

Small caveat in that it kind of does if you aren't stood with the cab pointing at your ears, and then it is the total diameter of the whole array of speakers, but the caveat is important because it applies to a lot of real situations.

In my experience, the size of the speaker having a direct impact on amount of lows only seems to be relevant to the cheaper cabs. Having had cabs from budget ranges, there were vast differences in the amount of "bassiness" from a 115 to a 210.

But now, having used decent cabs for the last few years, they`ll do what is asked of them. My Barefaced Compact is a 115, and can be made very "toppy" and it doesn`t even have a tweeter. It will of course do amazing lows as well. Likewise, the Eden Nemesis 410 I`ve just sold could do soooooooo low it was unbelieveable.

If I were a tad more cynical, I`d possibly think that the budget cabs are made that way for a reason, so people have to go out and buy the matching "other one" to get the full sound, but hey, would companies really do that, just for profit?

Edited by Lozz196

[quote name='51m0n' post='1359351' date='Sep 1 2011, 11:29 PM']Nope, you are very misguided, diameter has nothing to do with tone at all.[/quote]
Agreed. You only have to think about those microscopic drivers used in mp3 player earphones. Plenty of good quality bass in mine. For live music sound levels though, once you get much below a 10" speaker, you are into serious multiple arrays to get enough air volume moving, [url="http://www.philjonespuresound.com/products/?id=123"]but it can be done[/url]. It's all down to cost, practicality and the almost inevitable weight issues, rather than some immutable law of physics.

As Lozz mentioned, the tone goals for the cabinets that 10s tend to be loaded in are 'punchy/bright' for the majority (IME) which seems to be why we tend to bunch diameter with what the cabinet sound like. The speaker(s) size has very little correlation.

I know I've tried plenty of AWFUL 15s in my time, but I know a good 15 can be fantastic. I still don't think even the brightest of 15" speakers provide enough for some players though, but that's the ones I have played.

Until I played the Orange OBC115, I never heard a 15" cab/speaker with so much detail, so they are out there.