Why become a member? ×

Origins of Custom basses

mcgraham

Hi guys

I'm quite interested to hear how those of you have had custom basses built, are getting them built or are planning on getting one built arrived at the specifications and builder you chose. Specifics on what you got and why would be good too, just to gain some insight into what other players value in a bass.

So go on, share the background story of your custom and how it came, or will come, to fruition.

Mark

im going on a shuker course in 2 weeks time, where you build a bass to your specifications in 5 days one to one with jon shuker. the base cost is £950 and that includes all woods but you have to pay extra for pickups and hardware - i decided on that because its a shuker quality bass without the wait and i get to do it myself!

i chose what i wanted easily, i love the sounds of precisions and stingrays, the p bass neck and the telecaster deluxe body shape. my dad has a warwick and i have an ibanez with a wenge neck so i decided to go for wenge. my SR500 has a 3 band eq but i never use the mid control, and the warwick has a 2 band eq, so i figured id go for a 2 band eq on it with a 3 mini toggle switch as a pickup select because they look cooler than any other switch. im going to put up a build diary on the sunday before i go, but ill post my specs here now so that you can get the basic idea:

telecaster deluxe shape
precision width neck
seymour duncan quarter pounder p pickup
seymour duncan ceramic musicman pickup
ash body
wenge neck/wenge fretboard
seymour duncan 2 band eq
controls are volume/treble/bass with a mini toggle switch for pickup select
white or black finish (i haven't decided yet) with black pickguard

well, thats how mine came to fruition (whatever that means).

by the way, im guessing shukers going to have to stop building for a week to do my course, so i want to apologise to everyone out there with a shuker bass on order - its going to be five days later than it would have been because of me :huh: :)