Why become a member? ×

Before you buy a new bridge........

chilievans

In my experience changing to a high mass bridge helps a few problem basses that have a problem with sustain but for most basses it makes little difference.

In terms of tone a high mass bridge might add a bit more top end to the sound but I went back to the bent bit of tin bridge on my Fenders because I wanted them to sound like a Fender should.

Pretty much the only thing these replacement bridges offer is less rattles and better lateral (string spacing) adjustment, maybe they look cooler too.

But if you enjoy customising your bass then go for it, just don't expect to improve the tone much.

[quote name='Fat Rich' post='1360705' date='Sep 3 2011, 09:27 AM']In terms of tone a high mass bridge might add a bit more top end to the sound but I went back to the bent bit of tin bridge on my Fenders because I wanted them to sound like a Fender should.[/quote]
Exactly the same reason I went back to the original Fender bridges.

Its not just to do with the sound its more about the latteral movement to me, The BBOT moves around when I play hard where even an early stock MM bridge with the strings trying to pull the string saddles up towards the E saddle rests against the large anchor bolt so it cant move at all. If I had done that experiment on my Affinity Jazz you would hear it easily, Without a machine to pluck the note accuratley everytime its a waste of time too.

We have been here before, some people like a BBOT thats why they are still available which is great some people dont. Its becoming a bit preachy now all this anti high mass bridge what with you tube vids etc, If you want to keep the BBOT fine do it if you dont swap it and enjoy less saddle movement and easier intonation adjustments etc.

Also what makes me laugh is the people telling me it wont of made a difference, Well the fact I have put a pair of Bartolini's and an EBS active pre amp in it too I dont think I was expecting much of the tone alteration to come from the new BA bridge was I? The Affinity series Squiers are very thin and light weight too so maybe a high mass will make more difference than on a boat anchor 70's Fender?

"why would weight or anything make any difference, a bit of metal is a bit of metal" great scientist aint he?!

Edited by stingrayPete1977

For me, when I had high-mass bridges, the lows seemed to be tighter, the highs more crisp and precise, and the overall sound more hi-fi. I found that the high-mass bridge seemd to take away from the Precision what the Precision is famed for, but really exaggerated all that a Jazz is famed for.

Don`t get me wrong, I think they are a good piece of kit, but ultimately not for me for the sound I want at present, with my Precisions. But undeniably, they are a much more precise bridge for adjustments than the stock BBOT.

[quote name='Lozz196' post='1360775' date='Sep 3 2011, 11:02 AM']For me, when I had high-mass bridges, the lows seemed to be tighter, the highs more crisp and precise, and the overall sound more hi-fi. I found that the high-mass bridge seemd to take away from the Precision what the Precision is famed for, but really exaggerated all that a Jazz is famed for.

Don`t get me wrong, I think they are a good piece of kit, but ultimately not for me for the sound I want at present, with my Precisions. But undeniably, they are a much more precise bridge for adjustments than the stock BBOT.[/quote]

This post should be put on everyone of the YouTube clips, It really is the top and indeed bottom of it :)

[quote name='Lozz196' post='1360775' date='Sep 3 2011, 11:02 AM']For me, when I had high-mass bridges, the lows seemed to be tighter, the highs more crisp and precise, and the overall sound more hi-fi. I found that the high-mass bridge seemd to take away from the Precision what the Precision is famed for, but really exaggerated all that a Jazz is famed for.

Don`t get me wrong, I think they are a good piece of kit, but ultimately not for me for the sound I want at present, with my Precisions. But undeniably, they are a much more precise bridge for adjustments than the stock BBOT.[/quote]

as is often the case Lozz speaks sense on the matter.

[quote name='Lozz196' post='1360775' date='Sep 3 2011, 11:02 AM']For me, when I had high-mass bridges, the lows seemed to be tighter, the highs more crisp and precise, and the overall sound more hi-fi. I found that the high-mass bridge seemd to take away from the Precision what the Precision is famed for, but really exaggerated all that a Jazz is famed for.[/quote]

I really like this response, this is why I refused to buy the 50's 60's classic player stratocasters - vintage fretwire and jumbo frets make a big difference to tone IMHO. No one else really notices these tiny tonal differences but it really frustrates me just as much as fretbuzz. ALSO Badass bridges are so ugly, I hated it when it was on my glam rock bass I may have thought differently if it didn't have 'BADASS' engraved on it for all to see.

Edited by Schnozzalee

[quote name='bubinga5' post='1360909' date='Sep 3 2011, 01:00 PM']please explain to my slow brain Pete[/quote]
Rather than giving it some hammer with a fat pick which is what really gets the saddles moving about (sometimes works the saddle height adjuster screws loose) you must be a lighter player, or tickler :)

I had a Yamaha BB614 and the bridge was the usual 'bent tin' that causes people to change. I swapped it out for a £12 one from CH Guitars that was chunkier and it did make a positive difference. The standard bridge seemed to be too 'loose' in construction which affected attack and sustain.

This thread reminds me of a similar test some guy on Talkbass posted, bolting a jazz neck and hardware onto a bit of building lumber he found in his basement. He posted recordings of the donor bass and the plank which resulted in similar results to this bridge test. His results were posted blind though, which made it a bit more interesting.

I use the same Schaller 3D bridge on my Precision because it lets me adjust the string spacing and more importantly, it looks very cool :)

On my two Jazz's the fretless has a BBOT and the fretted has a high mass type.

I don't play hard with either and the bridge is fine on both.

The BBOT looks right on the fretless and shall remain there!

The high mass one looks cool on the fretted too!

I did deliberate on whether or not I should swap them around to see..... but I have better things to do!

[quote name='Blademan_98' post='1361949' date='Sep 4 2011, 05:30 PM']The high mass one looks cool on the fretted too!

I did deliberate on whether or not I should swap them around to see..... but I have better things to do![/quote]
Yeah totally! I suspect one of the better things to do would be to play the Jazzes!

I have to admit, one of the things I was disappointed with when I bought my EB Stingray was that it didn't have the super-cool, massive bridge my old pre-EB had. I never used the mutes on my Pre EB but the bridge with the built in mutes looked so much nicer than the newer version.

[quote name='henry norton' post='1361927' date='Sep 4 2011, 05:12 PM']This thread reminds me of a similar test some guy on Talkbass posted, bolting a jazz neck and hardware onto a bit of building lumber he found in his basement. He posted recordings of the donor bass and the plank which resulted in similar results to this bridge test. His results were posted blind though, which made it a bit more interesting.

I use the same Schaller 3D bridge on my Precision because it lets me adjust the string spacing and more importantly, it looks very cool :)[/quote]
How do you rate the Schaller 3D? I have a bit of a string spacing fetish :)

[quote name='BottomE' post='1362108' date='Sep 4 2011, 07:48 PM']How do you rate the Schaller 3D? I have a bit of a string spacing fetish :)[/quote]
If you've got a string spacing fetish the Schaller 3D could well be the cure. They're nicely made, look good and cheaper than the equivalent Badass (although it has been 22 years since I last bought one...). On top of all that, if the posts on this thread are anything to go by, it does fek all to the sound anyway so at least you know things'll be consistent on that front :)

Schaller is great IMO: I put one on a Yamaha (sold since), it made a day and night difference. Loved it to bits. That yummy played better than any Warwick I've touched.

How much a difference any quality piece of replacement gear makes depends just as much on how crappy the part was you changed - simple arithmetics. Hence upgrading quality equipment doesn't make much sense. Many cheap guitars and "copies" are cheaper as you get exactly the same neck & body, but the manufacturer has saved on hardware which has a price. So upgrading these makes a lot of sense and you might end up with something better than any branded instrument. Upgrading a brand guitar makes much less sense and does not only tend to not do much, but also devalue the instrument.

Ive gone through 3 bridges on my Squier CVP. The original HM, a Fender (BBOT) vintage and a Gotoh 201.

I didn't notice much difference in tone or sustain, but i much prefer the feel of the Gotoh when im resting the side of my hand on it, and i think it looks the best.

Good enough reason for me to have done the upgrade IMO.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='1362606' date='Sep 5 2011, 09:16 AM']Ive gone through 3 bridges on my Squier CVP. The original HM, a Fender (BBOT) vintage and a Gotoh 201.

I didn't notice much difference in tone or sustain, but i much prefer the feel of the Gotoh when im resting the side of my hand on it, and i think it looks the best.

Good enough reason for me to have done the upgrade IMO.[/quote]

Yeah I like these. They address the sideways-shifting issue of the bbot, have no sharp edges and don't look too unsubtle.