Why become a member? ×

ibanez srx700

barry44

hi guys,

this was a guitar that i really, really admired back when i bought my first bas, an ibanez GSR200.

Back then i had no real experience of basses, i just really liked the way it looked, it was certainly different than everything in the shop at the time, with the neckthru body and all the woodtypes. it blew my mind!!! :)

Currently, i have my main bass which is an ATK400 and i am very happy with this, i also have a schecter model t which is a waiting a pup upgrade to an SD QP precision pup as the SPB-1 just does not cut it for me.

Two srx700s are now available on ebay and i am looking for someone to tell me what it is like to play and whether i would get anything out of it that may make it top of the pile??

convince me please guys to answer the gods of GAS and thus ensure a month of sleeping on the couch as i try to sneak it in the house...

cheers,

barry

Hi, I have an SRX705 (the 5 string version) and it's really excellent...

Beautiful neck thru, powerful pickups, good eq, very versatile sounds.

It just seems like a really well built, purposeful bass, solid as a rock :)

The only weak point may be the usual generic tuners, I'd swop 'em out.

I don't play mine now (I'm just using 4 strings), but I do miss its sound.

Like this?? (mine)

I paid £450 new.
Plays like a dream (Slender Ibanez Neck Syndrome)
Good upper fret access, as it's a Neck-Thru.
Body's a little bit "slabby", but okay
Not too heavy
Hardware's good.
Output's reasonably high.
The extremes of the pick-up pan control are too extreme IMO. Favour the bridge a little and nudge the bass control up a bit to compensate for the slight loss of bottom end, and leave the treble flat or roll it off a bit, and there's a nice tone for starters.
The extremes of the tone controls are too far out, too.
They can be quite aggressive sounding and growly in the upper mid (as opposed to the deeper growl a Warwick might give)

I used it extensively live for some years as it'll tear it's way through a mix with aplomb, certainly on stage.
It has never let me down electrically or mechanically in 6 years.

If I could change anything, the EQ would go first, followed by some better pick-ups with coil-tapping options...
Now there's an idea...