Why become a member? ×

Visit to BassGear in Twyford (west of London)

Clarky

Phil Nixon of BassGear had kindly brought down a bass for me to road-test from a Yorkshire-based BC'er. I had met Phil before at a couple of BassBashes and bought an Aguilar Tonehammer amp from him and I have always thought he was 'on the side' of us bass players. So I popped over this morning to his new retail outlet in Twyford, near Reading/Henley etc, about 35-40 minutes west of London. Well, its a real treasure trove for those who love a high end bass - loads of Foderas, Zons, Alleva etc on display - plus a couple of nice Fenders (and I do love a good Fender) - and some very impressive Bag End cabs. Phil is very host-ly (OK, I made up that word) and some hot percolated coffee was quickly on offer along with some great bass chatter. I know SiBob and molan have been over and I think Happy Jack may have been planning a visit too, so maybe they will chip in here.

For those BC'ers who are within a 1-2 hour radius - I would say its well worth a visit. Phil is very welcoming, he mentioned that some pretty exciting new stock will be coming in over the next few months, and the basses and amps/cabs he has right now are not to be sneezed at! Some still at relocation prices too. Hmmmm ....

Edited by Clarky

Since first trading some gear with Phil through this forum I've come to know him quite well & watched the progress of BassGear with great interest.

Feels like the move to the new showroom closer to London, increasing stock levels & new manufacturers coming in as well is all part of quite a big leap forwards.

I held the fort for Phil last weekend & had a great time trying out all his stock and playing 'host' to SiBob for a while.

The big thing for me when dealing with Phil is that he's as much an enthusiast for all things bass related as he is a bass retailer. He'll happily natter about stuff for as long as you like even if you have no intention of buying but just fancy a bit of an ogle at some of the amazing basses he has in stock :)

Missed you by an hour, Clarky.

Comments about Phil entirely seconded here, definitely one of the good guys and one of the most thought-out selections of high-end bass gear that I've seen in a long while.

Apart from my own, obviously. :)

Incidentally, those who saw Barrie's (Molan's) recent pics of his red sparkle Alleva Coppolo KBP4 should be aware that BassGear have another in stock right now but in a rather more subtle purple/mauve/red sparkle. Utterly gorgeous, and as playable as all A/C basses.

Yeah I had a great time when I visited last week :), I think I'll probably pop over next saturday too.

Some very cool basses, the kind that lots of people often just see in pictures, so nice to see them within touching distance.
My fave out of all of them was a Zon Sonus fretless 4, extremely playable and sounded like a fretless should!

The Foderas look great, but I have to say (and this is simply personal preference), I was slightly underwhelmed by the AC's
Each to their own huh :)

Cheers Barrie, and I hope I'll catch Phil next time too

Si