Why become a member? ×

What's a 1973 Fender Jazz worth these days !!?

liljimi

A friend of mine has moved to New York and is now strapped for cash so has reluctantly asked me to sell some of his gear for him. Among them is a 1973 Fender Jazz.

I'm pretty sure it's not all original. Firstly it's a silver sparkle finish, which i'd be very surprised if they ever produced that as a stock finish. Also the bridge looks like brass and is not the regular Fender kind. It has a rosewood fretboard and has been professionally set up to play beautifully. He's gutted to sell it as it's been his number one recording bass for years...

I don't have the bass at my house yet so unfortunately i can't post any pictures but any ideas what it might be worth ? Comes with an industrial pro tour grade flightcase too.

Many thanks
J

To get the maximum amount you'll need to try and suss out exactly how much of it is original, each part that is retro-fitted hurts the price, even I it might have been an improvement over the original.

Try to get Someone to take lots of pictures, take the neck off and check the heel stamp, while this is done get clear shots o the neck cavity as it might help show an original paint colour if its been refunished, get the serial numbers on the control pots and pics of underside of the pickups etc.

The differences here could make up to a grand difference in value!

All a bit time consuming but if you can prove as much provenance as possible it could really help increase the value (and avoid issues later on if it's sold ad 'original' and turns out not to be).

Edited by molan