Why become a member? ×

Swap my cello for your double bass?

fonzoooroo

Now the funny thing here is that I've got a choice of cellos (Been playing since I was a kid, still got my old instruments, then I trained as a luthier, so have 2 that I've made too.) (all are used, so consider the deal "private" rather than "trade")

I'm just not in a position to add cash, so it'd have to be a straight swap. Any of the cellos can be just the instrument, or an outfit...

Pics available... just need to point the camera at them... which I will if there's any interest!

As you'll gather from the various values of the cellos, I'm not picky about the bass - could be ply or solid, old or new, playing or damaged. Try me. Only thing I'll say is that it needs to be 3/4 or 4/4. I want it to play, (I have a couple of EUBs, but now I've finally got a music room and an estate car, I've got the space to have a "proper" bass!) not as a commercial deal.

So... The cellos:

1: I've got a 3/4 laminate effort. Playing, but unremarkable. Can come with hard case. Cello worth approx £150. Good, solid instrument for beginner. (got me up to grade 5)

2: 4/4 solid wood. Korean made, with French label (Debourde) made 1990 or 1992 - can't remember which without looking! Took me up to grade 8. Nicely set up with good action and Dominants. Value approx £500. Can come in practically new Hiscox wheeled hard case (worth £200 as it stands... Much dearer new)

3: 4/4 Strad pattern. One I've made, and got little use out of, as I mainly play on my 5 string... BIG sound. Larsen/D'addario/Supersensitive strings. Proper "advanced" cello. Amber varnish. Value approx £3000. As above, can come in the wheeled Hiscox.

4: 4/4 modified Strad pattern 5 string. (CGDAE) This is the instrument I'd happily NEVER sell.... It's my "daily" cello. One I made, even designed and carved the tailpiece myself from solid ebony. Not quite such a "big" sound as #3, but balanced, smooth, lovely to play. Properly designed as a 5 string - standard string spacing, standard peg spacing, beefed up bassbar and front. Amber varnish, showing a little wear round the edges. Always said I'd only sell to fund wood to build a 6 string! Value approx £5000. As above, can come in the wheeled Hiscox.

Cheers.
John.