Why become a member? ×

New Site Problem - latency

geoffbyrne

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1317126267' post='1387011']
It could, but you would expect more people to be affected.

As far as I'm aware the iPhone issue is affecting loads of people - lagging while typing on PCs is only a very small number.
[/quote]

I agree, the PC issue isnt widespread but considering the old site (and every other site) works 100% as far as i know, and doesn't on the iPhone then i dont think we should rule out the forum software not being at least part of the cause.

[quote name='51m0n' timestamp='1317124218' post='1386962']

If you are experiencing typing latency it is something your end not playing nice.

Which version of what browser are you using?

What type of security software are you using? (Certain types of security software sniff javascript events and can inject code to try and work out what is going on and keep everything 'safe' and/or intercept requests and parse them.

Typically if you havent got that sort of thing getting in the way then IME typing latency is something going a bit haywire in the browser because it just doesnt get on with some of the data structures being passed about and held on to in the page.

It used to be the case that older IE versions and FF versions got very tied up by this sort of thing. In recent years (since IE7, FF3) this has been less and less of an issue as javascript performance have become important for bragging rights between browser coders.

The one thing I think it isnt is down to the server having had load in your case.

Very unusual, do you have a browser capable of laoding plugins at all? If so try disabling them (yup all), if that makes a differenc, then turn thm back on one at a time and see if one of them is the culprit.

Only other thing to try is a completely different browser.

if that shows the same issues, then its something other than the browser, but its still your end, I'm afraid.
[/quote]

Internet Explorer 9 - no customized setup to block plugins or anything.
Avast Antivirus - set to allow most things, skype, Window messenge, the lot except viruses, trojans, worms etc.

look just typing that lot, I burned 12 minutes of my life waiting for the cursor to start blinking before I could type the next letter, honest! ... I'll just live with it as it is cause this is too tedious.

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' timestamp='1317132685' post='1387136']

Internet Explorer 9 - no customized setup to block plugins or anything.
Avast Antivirus - set to allow most things, skype, Window messenge, the lot except viruses, trojans, worms etc.

look just typing that lot, I burned 12 minutes of my life waiting for the cursor to start blinking before I could type the next letter, honest! ... I'll just live with it as it is cause this is too tedious.
[/quote]
Try disabling AVAST! for a quick test. See if that makes any difference.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1317132799' post='1387137']
Try disabling AVAST! for a quick test. See if that makes any difference.
[/quote]
[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1317132841' post='1387141']
..and then try Chrome or Firefox. It'll take less than five minutes of your time.
[/quote]

+1 Tying this on Safari running on a PC, I hate this browser with a passion, but at 2 minutes to install worth the effort to see if I can at least see some evidence of odd typing latency.

There is none, my machine has similar enough specs to yours, and I've now tried the site on IE9, IE8, FF6.0, Chrome 14 & Opera 11.51 and haven't seen the issue you describe with any of them.

What can I say, I have to hoard browsers (and even browser versions) at work.

Disable avast, remove any add on toolbars you may have, restart the machine and try again (then remember to re-enable avast before anything scary happens)

No to consign this awful POS software to the depths of Hades once again where it belongs.....

Edited by 51m0n

On holiday in Greece and have had some issues accessing via mobile.

There's a major time delay after typing each letter - you have to type a word and then wait a few seconds for it to appear on the screen. It's almost become a competition trying to see how many words I can type before they all appear :)

I also have to click each thread twice before the link works. It's not a double-click, just two separate clicks.

I'm on an iPhone 4 with fast wireless connection.

Not having this issue with any other sites such as Facebook or Talkbass etc.

Just popped into this thread and surprised to see this text lagging issue. I get this from time to time also on the PC. The cursor just vanishes for a few seconds and then comes back flashing. I also get it with the scroll bar on the right. The page will load and you then try to scroll down and it freezes for a few seconds and then it starts to work fine again.

<p>Back home and on a pretty fast connection running a big quad core iMac &amp; Safari and the site is running so slow for me that I'm using TalkBass in the background and able to get through approx 2 new threads there before each page loads here :)</p>
<p> </p>
<div id="myEventWatcherDiv" style="display:none;"> </div>

<p>[quote name='molan' timestamp='1317674266' post='1393266']&lt;p&gt;Back home and on a pretty fast connection running a big quad core iMac &amp;amp; Safari and the site is running so slow for me that I'm using TalkBass in the background and able to get through approx 2 new threads there before each page loads here :)&lt;/p&gt; &lt;p&gt; &lt;/p&gt; &lt;div id=&quot;myEventWatcherDiv&quot; style=&quot;display:none;&quot;&gt; &lt;/div&gt; [/quote]</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Also - what's with all the strange quote type stuff appearing around anything I write?</p>
<div id="myEventWatcherDiv" style="display:none;"> </div>

All the stuff you can see in the pointed brackets is the HTML code that should be formatting your post. Occasionally I can see it briefly when I click on edit for one of my posts before it is replaced by the formatting that it is describing.

The fact that it isn't being replaced when you post would suggest an issue with the configuration of your browser. What extensions have you got installed on Safari? Do you have Javascript on or off?

glad its not just me. Yes its very slow today but it has been quite quick at other times

Another thing I've noticed is that when I edit a post of mine I get the edited version with the original right below it in the same post so effectively the post twice but when i go back out and then click on the thread the post appears normal

Edited by Delberthot

Seems there's enough people saying it's slow for the problem not to be 'his computer' or 'their computer' or anyone's machine. I've never had to rejig my computer for the purposes of visiting anywhere else.

Can't even pretend to know how to flush this, or update that, or reconfigure a watchamacallit either.

it's just slow. Sad but true.

• 2 weeks later...

It's a while since I last posted in this thread, but my experience is that speed improved then got slow again.

It's not *too* bad during the day, but gets pretty dire this time of night when everyone's logging on. It took nearly 40 seconds for this thread to come up & I've had the formatting problems from the word go. I do not have *any* of these problems in The MusicPlayer Forums, Basschat, The String Network , Finn's or Greenboy.

Only here. It's really beginning to put me off visiting here - as others have said.

G.

Hopefully, most things will be resolved soon. Invision themselves have said there have been a few bugs in this version of their forum software and are working on an update.

Ben is also working on it from our point of view, and has explained what the problem is here, - [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/157299-forum-update-bugs-n-glitches/page__view__findpost__p__1401141"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/157299-forum-update-bugs-n-glitches/page__view__findpost__p__1401141[/url] - if you can understand it!

Cheers all for putting up with it :)

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1318852689' post='1406797']
This is the first time I've been able to access the site for nearly 2 days - I've just had fast fibre optic broadband installed & everything else is hurtling along so I don't think the problem is with my computer.
[/quote]

WOT has posted in another thread that Virgin are having issues. If your on VM then that could explain it.

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1318853875' post='1406836']

WOT has posted in another thread that Virgin are having issues. If your on VM then that could explain it.
[/quote]
Brilliant - I leave TalkTalk because of their sh*t connection/service & go with another provider who also appears to be sh*t.
God I hate the internet. :)

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1318854479' post='1406856']
FWIW, it's rare for them to have issues IME.
[/quote]

Agreed. They are generally very good, especially their Cable broadband. I think because it works so well when it does go down its a bigger deal because we arent used it.