Why become a member? ×

Shaftesbury Ned Callan Hombre

Bassowner35

Hello

I have a Shaftesbury Ned Callan Hombre that I bought in Exeter back in the 'seventies. It isn't in mint condition, far from it, but as far as I know everything on it except the strings is original. I recently bought a Westone Spectrum ST, which so far seems like quite a nice bass, and I'm thinking of perhaps selling the Ned Callan. I imagine that trying to restore the finish or changing the pickups would spoil its "original" character. Not being a collector, I haven't much idea of what it is worth, but I know it featured in a book about British basses and guitars that appeared a good few years ago, and I understand it was designed by Peter Cook, a well-known British luthier.

Has anyone got any suggestions?

[quote name='Bassowner35' timestamp='1316363127' post='1376928']
Hello

I have a Shaftesbury Ned Callan Hombre that I bought in Exeter back in the 'seventies. It isn't in mint condition, far from it, but as far as I know everything on it except the strings is original. I recently bought a Westone Spectrum ST, which so far seems like quite a nice bass, and I'm thinking of perhaps selling the Ned Callan. I imagine that trying to restore the finish or changing the pickups would spoil its "original" character. Not being a collector, I haven't much idea of what it is worth, but I know it featured in a book about British basses and guitars that appeared a good few years ago, and I understand it was designed by Peter Cook, a well-known British luthier.

Has anyone got any suggestions?
[/quote]

Check out the shergold website ([url="http://www.shergold.co.uk/forum/"]http://www.shergold.co.uk/forum/[/url]). I am sure someone there could give you a value and maybe even buy it off you.

Thanks Nick and GeeCee

It plays OK and I think it sounds nice. I haven't used it much recently but I used to play it in a small jazz group. I now play an anonymous one-off ( I think) that I found in the local music shop, but I'm thinking of making the Westone my main bass. I may even have it converted to fretless. The finish on the Ned Callan is very distressed, with long cracks, and it has a few rather deep dents and dinges. I could have it sanded, filled and resprayed but of course that wouldn't affect its sound, and might affect its value.

I'll check out the shergold website.

[quote name='Bassowner35' timestamp='1316423787' post='1377729']
Thanks Nick and GeeCee

It plays OK and I think it sounds nice. I haven't used it much recently but I used to play it in a small jazz group. I now play an anonymous one-off ( I think) that I found in the local music shop, but I'm thinking of making the Westone my main bass. I may even have it converted to fretless. The finish on the Ned Callan is very distressed, with long cracks, and it has a few rather deep dents and dinges. I could have it sanded, filled and resprayed but of course that wouldn't affect its sound, and might affect its value.

I'll check out the shergold website.
[/quote]

The Shergold guys are used to the crazing associated with these instruments and would tell you not to do anything to it, keep it original.