Why become a member? ×

Warwick experts.... tell me a bit about this one.

Jesso

Hey folks, I'm looking at this at the moment, being sold by a friend. I like it but I don't like the finish. Never thought I'd be a Warwick man, but it's very seductive to play.
Just wondering if anyone could date it for me and maybe suggest a value? How much would it have been new? Any info or thoughts much appreciated! Does anyone have something similar? Would refinishing it (i.e. sanding back the finish professionally) totally de-value it?
Thanks!

[quote name='Jesso' timestamp='1316470453' post='1378615']
Dream bass? Wow I didn't think it'd be anyones dream bass.... surely there are much more flash Warwicks with gold hardware, inlays etc that'd float your boat? But then again... it is growing on me! Anyone know how much I should offer for it?
[/quote]

Yes, there are flashier looking Warwick's but I quite like simple looking basses. I admit, it would look much better with gold hardware as the black makes it look dull. Plus the fact its a bolt on neck which makes it much nicer for me than a neck through. I just prefer the look of bolt on necks :)

Not sure on the value but I would say somewhere between £600 - £800 but happy to be corrected on this. That is the sort of price I have been looking at for them.

Is there anything written on the pickups? They look very plain? Usually they have MEC written on them I think so just wondering if they have been changed.

Edited by Linus27

I hear you on the hardware, it could do with being pimped slightly I reckon! The pickups say MEC but the gold writing has worn off quite a bit so it's not immediately clear. Anyone else with a price for this piece of wood? What would this have retailed at in 2006?

[quote name='Jesso' timestamp='1316471171' post='1378627']
I hear you on the hardware, it could do with being pimped slightly I reckon! The pickups say MEC but the gold writing has worn off quite a bit so it's not immediately clear. Anyone else with a price for this piece of wood? What would this have retailed at in 2006?
[/quote]

Ok, that good, it has the stock pickups still.

[quote name='Jesso' timestamp='1316471401' post='1378631']
Would you consider it a crime to refinish it? I.e. take it back to the natural wood and use a light oil on it?
[/quote]

There would be two crimes comminted. One by you for doing it and then one by me to you for doing it :) I think I would cry if you stripped that back. The burgundy colour is gorgeous. Just don't do it, I'll get really really upset :) :)

Edited by Linus27

[quote name='Jesso' timestamp='1316507155' post='1378818']
Luke, can't find that thread. Do you have a linky anyone?
[/quote]

Here you go,

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/103287-warwick-streamer-stage-one-from-1991-fsft/page__hl__warwick+streamer__fromsearch__1"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/103287-warwick-streamer-stage-one-from-1991-fsft/page__hl__warwick+streamer__fromsearch__1[/url]

[quote name='Mog' timestamp='1316523727' post='1379122']
£800 seems over the top tbh. I'd be thinking more along the lines of £450-£500.
Theres Warwicks (German) and Spectors (European) going for as little as E400 over here, whats that in ££'s, 300ish?
[/quote]

Thinking about it a bit more, I think you could be right. I picked up a mint contion Streamer Jazzman for £500 and some of the Stage I's have been £800 - £1000. The LX is a cheaper model over those two so you could be right. Maybe £400 - £500????

Edited by Linus27

[quote name='Jesso' timestamp='1316524256' post='1379139']
Thanks lads. So Mog, given that the bass is in Ireland... would you say €550 to €600?
Luke, sorry to bother you with that PM, didin't realize it weren't for sale any more.
[/quote]

Given that the bass is in Ireland I might get it my self!

[quote name='Jesso' timestamp='1316524256' post='1379139']
Thanks lads. So Mog, given that the bass is in Ireland... would you say €550 to €600?
Luke, sorry to bother you with that PM, didin't realize it weren't for sale any more.
[/quote]

Well 600 Euro is 517 GBP so maybe go for 550 Euro.

Oh and Luke's is not for sale, its actually sold to me but he just hasn't decided when he's going to let me have it :)

Mog it's actually a friend of a friend selling it. It's up on adverts at the mo. I have it for the weekend to give it a shot. Just trying to work out what a fair price is given that over here it seems like nothing is selling at all... everyones broke. It feels good to play, but I might hold out for something a bit pricier that I prefer the look of. I saw the jazzman, but I'm after something with the P pickup.