Why become a member? ×

Diagnosis of a pick up problem

Bilbo

I have just discovered a problem on my Wal and hoped someone here can help with a diagnosis. When I turn the pick up selection pot tot he bridge pick up, the D string is a=barely audible and crackles. I assume the pick up has died? Am I right? If I turn it to the neck pick up, its fine across all strings. I attached an mp3 to show you the problem. I play a straight G major scale staring on the low G and go up to the D above middle C. You can hear the E F G are dead. Can anyone advise?

First thing is to find the plug/connector that joins the pickup wire to the circuit board. Give it a wiggle/press and see if it restores the signal....if it does, then carefully remove the plug, give it a clean and replace. Pickups don't die very often. Also its always worth waggling the jack plug/socket. Makes you feel better if nothing else......

Bassbod's solution hit a bull's eye. The pick up is now working 100%. the more I think about it, the more I relasise that this may have been a problem for a little while. Because I put the blend pot central but a notch towards the bridge, the failure would have been that much harder to spot but I have, with hindsight, experienced a little bit of distortion that I put down to my playing too hard. I have a gig this weekend where I can check it properly but I think it may have been an issue for a while.

Thank's again, bb.