Why become a member? ×

Setup and amp choice advice

TPTroll

Hi all

I'm making a comeback after a fair gap to playing beyond the bedroom and need some advice on amp choices. I was never particularly clued up in the past on setups, so need all the advice I can get!

Sorry if I'm repeating issues here, but had a few questions that couldn't find answers to easily via searching.

1. I'm looking for something under £300 (used) that is up to 200w. I've got a thing for stacks - really like the Ashdown five fifteen, but the power is an issue for me as most people seem to say it wouldn't handle anything larger than small practice rooms. The Ampeg mini stack seems perfect, but is a bit too much for me. I'd consider combos too, but do have a softness for stacks. Anyone got any suggestions? I'd be buying used rather than new.

2. I've been reading into Bi-amping and like the sound of it. I'd really like to get a Entwistle type sound and like the idea of seeing how this would work. Now, what I was thinking of doing is getting a stack, putting the bass through the head setting that up for lower end sounds with it's cab. I'd then use the additional output jack to go through a guitar modelling pedal, something like a Line 6 pod or Zoom G2, into another cab, for treble sounds. I also like playing with a bit of fuzz/natural gain, so would put that through this option. Is that a cheap way of going about it or will it sound dreadful? The other option of essentially two seperate heads seems a bit too pricey for me. Would standard cabs do it or should I look at different speaker size configs for each?

Sorry for the stupid questions and thanks for the patient advice!

Edited by TPTroll

For £300 don't read into John Entwhistle's sound too much! Consider adding an inexpensive guitar combo to a bass amp for that bi-amp thing (roll bass off on guitar combo and treble off on bass rig).

Ampeg mini-stack too much for you? How long have you been out of things?

Realistic gigging amp power is 300 watts MINIMUM. You're more likely to stick to budget with a combo, although a stack is still possible. You should be able to find a Peavey 2x10/4x10/1x15 and a decent head (maybe a s/h Hartke LH500, Ashdown MAG/ABM or Peavey something or other) within/right on budget. I've seen Ashdown 300w 2x10 or 1x15 combos go for that sort of money.

Don't get hung up on how many watts an amp is, they aren't the deciding factor on how loud you can go. Moving air is the clincher. :)
A combo may be a better/cheaper option for you as Bigwan says & there's plenty from Ashdown, SWR, Hartke & a few others. Have a look on here in the For Sale section. You may well even find a decent rig in your price range.

[quote name='Bigwan' timestamp='1316766552' post='1382461']
If you want to try bi-amping you're guitar amp will not need to be anywhere near as loud as your bass amp - a cheapo solid state 50 watt 1x12 guitar combo with a distortion box of some variety will probably suffice.
[/quote]

Because the power will be coming from the bass amp?