Why become a member? ×

Loud G string and 'wah' type sound on a '51RI P-bass

Clarky

I recently bought a '51 reissue Precision and swapped the round strings over for a newish set of LaBella flats. The bass has a Seymour Duncan replacement '51 P bass pickup. The problem I have is the G string is louder than the E/A/D and seems especially so around the 7th fret upwards, when the notes seem to swell and then almost move in and out of phase (wah) as they die away. The pickup is sat very square on (ie, its not raised at the G string) so I'm wondering what's going on here. Anyone have any suggestions? Muchos gracias, Clarky

So is the phasing sound on a hard-hit G string (now there's a vision!) normal on the '51 RI?

TBH thats the lesser of the two issues as the volume issue is the one that perplexes me - I was hoping to do some recording next weekend but the track I will be doing has a downwards rake on the strings (permutation of 7th and 5th frets, G string down to A string) which just doesn't work on this bass as the G drowns out the A and D strings

I know you say the pickup is square, but I'd try lowering the G side to see if that helps. If it were too close to the string it would cause both of the problems you mention. It might well be something else, but changing the pup height is such a quick and easy thing to try, that it's worth ruling this out before looking for a more complicated cause.

[quote name='warwickhunt' timestamp='1317152340' post='1387457']
Strange you should have this issue even with a replacement pup as I had a very similar issue with a 'Sting' sig Tele/P bass and replacing the pup didn't sort that (I also tried tilting the pup etc to no avail and changing between flats and rounds)!
[/quote]
Did you manage to solve it in the end, WH ... or just sell the bass?!!!

[quote name='Clarky' timestamp='1317152680' post='1387464']
Did you manage to solve it in the end, WH ... or just sell the bass?!!!
[/quote]
I tried EQing it, using a different amp/cab, adjusting the pup and action, tightened neck bolts, different string gauge and makes... all to no avail. It annoyed me to the point where I sold the bass.

[quote name='warwickhunt' timestamp='1317153221' post='1387477']
I tried EQing it, using a different amp/cab, adjusting the pup and action, tightened neck bolts, different string gauge and makes... all to no avail. It annoyed me to the point where I sold the bass.
[/quote]
Oh dear, thats not good news for you ... or potentially me. I am heading off with screwdriver set now :)

OK, well the G side of the pickup was already as low as it would go so I tilted up the E side and its largely solved the volume issue. There's still a difference but probably more noticeable to me than to anyone in an audience. The phase effect is still there but not so noticeable with the better volume balance and I think I can live with that as, lets face it, why on earth would I routinely go up to the heady heights of the 7th fret on the G string and above? Its a bass init! :)

Clarky the original pickup in a CIJ 51 reissue has raised poles on A and D strings while flat on E and G this to follow the fretboard contour, the one I sold you last year had a Lollar pickup which was re-hand wound by Jason to compensate for the fact that his pole piece were flat and not followed the contour. I believe his re-hand wiring did the trick and that bass had a very very balanced sound. Also I changed all the wiring for waxed cloth wires and CTS pots with paper oil capacitor, to make it more period correct. Whoever bought it off you could tell you, he got a nice bass. Why did you try another, just out of curiosity?

Edited by Grand Wazoo

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' timestamp='1317174857' post='1387715']
Clarky the original pickup in a CIJ 51 reissue has raised poles on A and D strings while flat on E and G this to follow the fretboard contour, the one I sold you last year had a Lollar pickup which was re-hand wound by Jason to compensate for the fact that his pole piece were flat and not followed the contour. I believe his re-hand wiring did the trick and that bass had a very very balanced sound. Also I changed all the wiring for waxed cloth wires and CTS pots with paper oil capacitor, to make it more period correct. Whoever bought it off you could tell you, he got a nice bass. Why did you try another, just out of curiosity?
[/quote]
Thanks GW, I may get hold of a Lollar (Chandlers has them for about £60) and replace the Seymour Duncan. Why did I buy another? Well it wasn't just "any '51 reissue", it was a Marks & Spencer, oops ....in fact it was the '53 Relic'd one that Rick's Fine '52 was selling with nitro refinished body, neck, guard, vintage ferrules etc and it looks so unbelievably authentic. Couldn't help myself!
Pics here: [url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FENDER-PRECISION-1953-RELIC-Blonde-Blackguard-beauty-/220847112061?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item336b837f7d"]http://www.ebay.co.u...=item336b837f7d[/url]

Edited by Clarky

[quote name='Clarky' timestamp='1317157381' post='1387549']
OK, well the G side of the pickup was already as low as it would go so I tilted up the E side and its largely solved the volume issue. There's still a difference but probably more noticeable to me than to anyone in an audience. The phase effect is still there but not so noticeable with the better volume balance and I think I can live with that as, lets face it, why on earth would I routinely go up to the heady heights of the 7th fret on the G string and above? Its a bass init! :)
[/quote]
Glad you've found a way to make it better. If you decide you can't live with the phasing, and you can't lower the G side of the pup, then (at the risk of stating the obvious :)) you could try raising the G string a little.

• 1 year later...

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' timestamp='1317174857' post='1387715']
[/quote]

It was me, ta-dah!

Very pleased with it and yes a very balanced sound but a bit "hot" , ( feel a bit guilty saying that as you had a helluva bother getting it sorted) On the search for a more old school kinda thing, and was wondering about the original reissue pickup?