Why become a member? ×

G-string problem (ooherr missus)

bassatnight

folks,

Got a problem with a new recruit, my new 5 string olp has an issue with the G string remaining in the nut slot when plucked. Basically it tries to escape the nut housing when played. I have raised and lowered the bridge adjuster but to no avail.

Any suggestions? The other 4 strings are fine.

Cheers,
Steve.

[quote name='bassatnight' timestamp='1317727735' post='1393689']Cheers guy's, I have pushed the string down as far as it will go on the tuner, between the nut and the tuner the string is just too high. Apologies I did mean the brisdge saddle.

I'll take a pic but this one has me stumped!?[/quote]
Yep pics will help.
Is there not enough break angle after the bridge saddle, towards where the string end locks in?

Some Pics...

I have managed to improve it slightly but the G string still tries to jump out of the nut making playing impossible. I am open to suggestions, this would appear on the face of it to be a build issue as nothing has been changed the bridge and nut seem original. I have a feeling the original owner was aware of it as the bridge saddle is a low as you can go, clearly trying to compensate by lowering the string at one end to make up for the slight lift beyond the nut and before the tuner.

If I push the string down physically with my finger between the nut and the tuner the string works perfectly, clearly the run between the nut and the tuner is too high.

I am at a loss now!

I'm a bit puzzled as to whether the problem is occurring at the nut or the bridge. But if at the nut, then likely either it has been restrung with the tuner windings pushing the open string in the wrong direction (up the tuning peg rather than down), the nut slot hasn't been properly cut or you're using too thick a string guage for the nut which is preventing the string sitting down as it should.

It sounds like winding the string differently will help and most likely do the trick: you may need to put a good few turns to ensure the string leaves from a very low position, so that it reaches the nut at an angle enough to keep it in place.

It may not be possible with teh string you have currently if it has been cut short.

A picture will put us out of our misery and we'll be able to give better suggestions.

I would not call it a build problem, but a "feature"...
Watch string angles behind the nut, they are important, and how you wind the strings may be a crucial factor to make the string vibrate properly.

A string retainer bar will always remove that issue. Something like this: