Why become a member? ×

Heavy duty strings and a Warmoth neck with the truss rod nut loose

Delberthot

I'm trying to set up my warmoth neck and was about to loosen off the truss rod as it has a bit of a backbow to discover that its already as loose as it can go.

I've got three options:

1 - get another neck
2 - have someone remove the frets, plane the fretboard flat and refit the frets
3 - get heavier gauge strings

The warmoth neck has 2 steel rods inside as well as the truss rod (which isn't doing anything in this case)

Would getting heavier gauge strings move the neck enough to create some relief?

At the moment I've got the just-a-nut raised quite a bit and the saddles are pretty high as well

I want to use rounds on this so was thinking about either Power Slinkies or D'Addarrio EXL165 (or 160)

Any ideas if this will work?

I swapped GHS 3050 Black Nylons for LaBella 1954 Oldies on my MiJ '51P & was a little worried about the pull on the neck - so much in fact I have left it D tuned (as in DGCF). It would adjust I'm pretty sure but those big old strings just feel better at the lower tension & the neck is happy.

So I'd say a set of heavy LaBellas will certainly decrease if not reverse any back bow you may have, sorry don't know about any of the rounds but I'd imagine they'll help. Certainly cheaper than options 1 or 2!

Cheerz, John

It'd be possible to fix by leaving it submerged in a bath tub, in a jig for a couple of days.

A neck of mine was fixed like this. That had a weird backbow to it. Didn't really have the option of planing and refretting.

Bit more of a gamble, as you can't really be sure what you get at the other end. Worked for mine though.

Edited by bigjohn

do some tests....
the fretboard is straight or actually curving back? check how neck sits in pocket also.
if you push it does it move forward (i.e. you can replicate if heavy strings will have an effect yourself)

otherwise this video is interesting http://youtu.be/vU9XEgoC4ts

I've had it tuned up a semi tone this afternoon and it definitely looks like higher gauge strings will do the trick so I have a set of the Steve Harris gauge roto flats on the way. They're not his exact strings but the RS77LE as opposed to the SH77 saving me £2.50.

I did say I wasn't putting flats on this but I just can't help myself. i thnk that's me finished with rounds for a long while at least.

That video certainly was interesting. the guy reminded me of Chris ( Thornybank ) the way he would say stuff and it would sound funny

• 2 weeks later...

oops, forgot to update this.

I've had the new strings on it for a couple of weeks now and its certainly done the trick. Although the strings are 50, 75, 95, 110 they don't actually feel too high tension. I can still play everything I could with lighter strings and they have a brilliant slap tone as well.