Why become a member? ×

Mic recommendation for screamer?

charic

Well currently the Shure 55SH-2 sounded by far the best out of everything we have tried and we are waiting for digital village to find the stock for us to find the "super" model before we pull the trigger. The improvement was vast and the feedback capabilities were mad :)

Will update when we get the next few tests finished. As for the SM57 vs SM58, they are very similar and the '58 sounds fairly crap with the singer so we decided to go for mics with a bigger difference :)

[quote name='LiamPodmore' timestamp='1324138030' post='1471215']
A good way to get around this, like they do at Manchester Academy (3 and Club are the only ones i've seen so far) which is use a splitter snake, to send the original signal to FOH and the monitor desk too. Seems to work pretty well for them and they always seem to have a good sound both on and off stage.

Liam
[/quote]

That'll be how almost all 'pro' venues do it, but I've not come across all that many 'mid-sized' places (read: a few hundred or so capacity) with a dedicated monitor desk. Roadhouse in Birmingham is a notable exception.

[quote name='Ian Savage' timestamp='1324382300' post='1473556']
That'll be how almost all 'pro' venues do it, but I've not come across all that many 'mid-sized' places (read: a few hundred or so capacity) with a dedicated monitor desk. Roadhouse in Birmingham is a notable exception.
[/quote]

Even the smallest venue in Academy has a dedicated desk for monitoring. I was quite surprised to find that as well actually, its all top notch soundcraft stuff as well, and quality engineers.

Liam

[quote name='LiamPodmore' timestamp='1324383446' post='1473583']
Even the smallest venue in Academy has a dedicated desk for monitoring. I was quite surprised to find that as well actually, its all top notch soundcraft stuff as well, and quality engineers.

Liam
[/quote]

Still a pro venue, the Academys in Birmingham are the same - I've seen some bands in very surprisingly small rooms (The Backyard Babies in the Academy 3 springs to mind, and Terrorvision in a tiny little place in Milton Keynes), but I guess that their tech riders will still stipulate a separate monitor desk and decent-quality gear. Certainly easier to work with, but as you're then almost obliged to have a second engineer for every gig (or repatch the system) I can see why most mid-sized places don't bother.

• 2 months later...

Well decision made on saturday and bought a....

Shure Super 55!

Clear winner, the 55SH was VERY good but lacked the low end clarity and some of the frequencies at the top of my singers range were cut whereas these were very clear on the Super 55 :)

Thanks for all the help guys.

And huge Kudos to Digital Village for allowing us to test to our hearts extent :)

[quote name='LiamPodmore' timestamp='1324138030' post='1471215']
A good way to get around this, like they do at Manchester Academy (3 and Club are the only ones i've seen so far) which is use a splitter snake, to send the original signal to FOH and the monitor desk too. Seems to work pretty well for them and they always seem to have a good sound both on and off stage.

Liam
[/quote]

If you're looking for a way round this in a 'one desk' setup, you could always use a small splitter and feed each vocal to two channels on the desk (if you've got enough spare) - send one to the masters and use the other to feed your auxes, you can EQ and process seperately to minimise your feedback. Happy days.