Why become a member? ×

Set up problem

sshorepunk

Hi

I recently picked up a Fender Jazz bass (MIJ) off this forum.
When I tried it, it seemed fine, but had a high action.
I've been playing for many years and having no problem setting up basses to how I like them, which is a medium / low action!
I've done that sort of thing many times, set the relief in the neck, adjusted string height, intonation etc

But this one is frying my brain, looks like there is a fret problem at the higher end of the neck
The A and D strings are the biggest problem, with an amount of relief in the neck, both strings become unplayable at what I would call a medium string height! The A buzzes and is totaly dead at the 8th fret and the D is the same at the 12th fret, there is no note, just a dead, short buzz! The E is a bit buzzy and the G is OK, but it's not yet set up as I would like!

anyone got an idea of what else to check as I've not delved this deep before? It looks like it's going to have to go into a local luthier!

Tony

A lot of bolt ons get a sort of wave shaped relief where the neck has a slight hump at the high end frets near the neck/body join. Have you tried a thin shim near the heel edge? I do reckon though that the solution is a fret level and dress, maybe even a hard level and re-crown if it's bad.