Why become a member? ×

Roadworn Fender Jazz

mcnach

Today I had the chance of trying a nice Fender RW Jazz.

(that's when I went to buy my guitarist's Classic Player series 60s Fender Stratocaster... yum... but that's another thread somewhere else :) )

I was surprised the neck was not as slim as "normal" Jazz basses. It was pretty "meaty", and I liked that a lot.
I can't say I fell in love with the tone... it was very "woody", which was really nice. Very deep tone too. It did have osme really nice quality to it... but I didn't find it "creamy" or "growly" in the way I like Jazz basses to be.

I must try more of these, because I really liked that neck. It played and felt great. I suspect I would love one, with different pickups :)

Must say I love mine, and as I've already mentioned in another thread the bodies and headstocks are thinner than standard, maybe thats why they lack a touch of low end. In fact I swear my bridge pickup is'nt far off the Jaco tone...can be incredibly burby and tight.

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1318111727' post='1398298']
I tried one in a shop, nice and deffo woody- theres a distinct mid bias in the pups.
Was blown out the water by the 1981 tokai jazz sound they had at half the price though!
[/quote]

I had one of said Tokais and I thought my Roadworn was quite a bit better-sounding.