Why become a member? ×

Verdine White - EWF

synaesthesia

Love his playing but I 'm sat in front of the TV watching Mainstreet - EWF in concert this Good Friday morning. They are singing to tracks and the instruments are mimed in a 'live' concert. Hear the bass slap and watch his fingers, same for the guitarist and the drummer. Great stage effect with the spare instruments and the Conn strobe tuners in the backline The conga mics have no XLRs, they are certainly not wireless mics...they must have run out of dud XLRs..... the vocals are live though. Can't tell with the horn section look real though, the live sax solo was certainly desafinado and the electric guitar solo in one tune was also similarly out of tune in parts .... Glad that I bought the CDs and not tickets to their 'live' concert! Shame about the general miming. Love his recorded licks though.

Edited by synaesthesia

I don't believe they are miming but they did go in to the studio afterwards and overdub parts. Unfortunately this was/is quite common, The Band overdubbed Rick Danko’s bass on the Last Waltz and Nathan East has been overdubbed on some of Clapton’s DVDs.