Why become a member? ×

Bridge Replacement on Columbus EB-3 copy

mrdreadful

So... I've recently picked up a freebie Columbus EB-3 and overall it's not actually a bad bass. Needs a bit of work doing but nothing I haven't done before or feel is particularly urgent.

Except the bridge.

The current bridge is bloody awful.

Here's a picture:
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/34452882@N05/6199800737/][/url]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/34452882@N05/6199800737/]Columbus EB-3 copy body 2[/url] by [url=http://www.flickr.com/people/34452882@N05/]Mr. Dreadful[/url], on Flickr

The as you can see there's no way to adjust intonation, and the bridge itself is basically floating, the only parts where it physically connects to the body are the adjustment screws. Not to mention the 'clever' loading/anchoring method which means the strings are bent at right angles against the bridge.

Anyway, I've done lots of measuring and looking around the internet and the only bridge that would drop in without me having to drill stuff is the Hipshot 2-point Supertone, which obviously I'm not gonna buy for a bass like this, plus it isn't high enough anyway... the current bridge holds the strings a little over an inch off the body (necessary because of angled neck and the mudbucker being rather high).

So I was thinking about a Tuneomatic style bridge but not sure about installing it. I know I'm going to need to fill the existing holes and drill new ones but would i need to put the bridge itself at a slight angle like what you do with guitar Tuneomatics? If so how would I calculate the correct angle?

Probably not... the bridge slots quite snugly between the screw heads and an integral ring ledge thingy and is pretty thick. The only possible adjustment is up and down.

At the moment the action is pretty much ideal, I just hate the bridge.

Edited by mrdreadful

I've had a quick look around but no luck finding a clone of the 2-point Supertone... also the 2-point is considerably lower than the 3-point. I guess a 3-point would be do-able but would mean drilling and my drill skills are a bit... special...

Edited by mrdreadful

The good thing about the Supertone bridge is that you can take it off and put the old bridge back on if you decide to sell. Also, an inch is quite a tall order for any bass bridge but the Supertone is quite high anyway and height adjustable.
You can get Tuneomatics from places like Allparts but if you're having to mod the bass to get a bridge and tailpiece to fit you might as well go for a combined bridge/tailpiece like a Schaller 3D or (dare I suggest it) a Badass, Mike Watt style. That way you're not having to drill big, accurate, straight holes for studs, just 3 or 4 pilot holes for wood screws. You can even get packing pieces for the Schaller to raise it up if it's too low.

Here's the [url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hipshot-2-Point-SuperTone-Bass-Bridge-Gibson-CHROME-/330619263918?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item4cfa719bae"]2 point Hipshot[/url] but personally I don't think its worth it as it only fits older Gibsons so if you sell the bass then you're unlikely to find a buyer for the bridge very easily.

I'd just fire a normal Fender bridge on there.

Yes, 'tis a bolt neck. Also shimmed (I presume as the neck is angled) and the neck pickup is really high in itself. Hence the height issue. I could potentially replace the neck pickup with something that I can make lower, but that's a whole 'nother issue.

Edited by mrdreadful