Why become a member? ×

Dual-amping guitar and bass heads

Minty

Does anyone on here run both guitar and bass heads simultaneously?

My band owns a Hartke 4x10, which finally blew a speaker after being played at loud volumes to death. I clearly need a much beefier rig to cope with the gigs I play, so we're investing in an extension cab...from a user on here actually! Now I'll be playing a Marshall JCM2000 DSL50 head into the Hartke cab (either fixing the speaker or simply removing it for now) and a Hartke HA3500 head into an Ampeg 1x18" cab.

I play with a lot of gain and need a big sound to fill out the space in a 3 piece band. I think the crunchy tube guitar head into the smaller bass speakers will sound really cool when coupled with a cleaner low-end tone coming from that big ol'18" speaker...with a Russian Big Muff pedal running into it for the [i]really[/i] rocking parts.

Can anyone recommend a decent splitter box too please? Thanks!

Edited by Minty

Biamping is when you use a crossover to split frequencies, probably not what you are going to do, its a kind of specific term. dual amping is great though, can use a full on guitar rig, just cut the low end from it, guitar speakers tend to sound better with a driven guitar head, as they contribute to the tone. don't assume just because the 18 is big that it has lots of lows. Once you ahve the guitar rig filling in your mids and highs, yo can go a bit silly with the ls and use PA subs and suchlike. The Barefaced Dubster is kind of ideal for this sort of shenanigans.

Guest bassman7755

You could look at an akai unibass. It creates octave and/or fith from the bass and adds distortion only to the harmony, you can mix both signals through the same output or split them. I used to use mine to good efect when I played in a single guitar band.

[url="http://www.effectsdatabase.com/model/akai/unibass"]http://www.effectsdatabase.com/model/akai/unibass[/url]