Why become a member? ×

Sub Bass

Kevin Dean

[quote name='Kevin Dean' timestamp='1318551087' post='1403765']
I use the MB121h & I use a peavey XR1212 for the bands PA ,this has a Sub out this means that any signal below 100KHZ going into the PA can be sent to a powered sub .I,m thinking of putting this signal through my amp as well as my bass . Good Idea or not ?

Thank you
[/quote]

You mean the Markbass unit? I guess you'd need an additional mixer with DI to do this? Unless you play an active bass in which case you could get away with skipping the DI. But it really depends what kind of PA speakers you've got, what other signal there is in the mix below 100Hz and how loud you expect it to be. The MB kit is good but it's not magic and can't reproduce real sub frequencies at high volume without suffering - it's only 350 watts or thereabouts into a 1x12.
I have used a bass rig to reinforce the kick drum for small/medium pub-type gigs before and it worked well and it integrates really nicely with the bass guitar, but dedicated PA subs are a very different beast to bass combos. Unless you already have the equipment to experiment with this I wouldn't bother, it could cause more problems than it solves.