Why become a member? ×

Humming Humbucker

Delberthot

I recently fitted a Seymour Duncan [url="http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/custom-shop/bass-2/single_coilstac/"]Stack for Single Coil[/url] pickup to my Warmoth.

There's no actual wiring diagram on the site so I used the one for the [url="http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=jazz_bass_stacks"]Jazz Bass Stacks[/url] pickup.

I soldered the red and white together and taped them with electrical tape, then off to the gig I went.

I had quite a bit of hum that went away when I touched the strings, bridge, knobs etc so I knew it was a grounding issue.

After quite a bit of looking around during the week and checking wiring I took the tape off the soldered together red and white wires and held them onto the volume pot and the hum went away so I've now got them soldered onto the pot and I am now hum free.

I'm not sure if there was something wrong with the pickup that I needed to do that but when I put my thumb and index finger either end of the pickup, the hum returns then goes away when I take my fingers away.

My EMG 35HZs are humbuckers with the 4 wires and I wired them up no problem but then again there are 2 of them on the Thunderbird so not sure if that makes a difference or not

Edited by Delberthot

no and no :)

I was guessing that SD would colour code all their pickup wires the same.

I might be able to get a hold of a multimeter at some point but I've never used one before. where should I be holding the pointy stick things that come from it to and what am I checking for? You can tell I'm an expert on these kind of things :)

You want to find out which colour combination gives you the same reading on the resistance setting of your meter. Then you make a judgment call as to which pair (from each pair) you join up to produce your humbucker ... if you don't fancy the sound the first time round, chances are you have them out of phase and they need to be reversed.