Why become a member? ×

Nuts?

Matt_UK

Hi guys, just playing my Warwick SSI and realised that one of the 'arms' of the Just a Nut II has a small crack in it and so might need replacing.

Ive heard this is a common problem and so guess Ive been quite lucky to last this long without needing to replace it!

Anyway, I was thinking about possibly selling/trading the SSI soon and was wondering if replacing the nut with the (more stable) Just a Nut III would affect the re-sale value, as it isn't an 'original' part.

So what do you think? Replacement Just a Nut II? or III?

Thanks, Matt

(P.S, sorry if this is in the wrong section!)

Edited by Matt_UK

I would leave it, and perhaps just point out the issue when selling.

It is not an issue really. I've had two Warwicks with the JAN2 nut, one lacked one of the tabs, and the other had both broken off when I bought it.
It does not affect the function one bit. You just have to remember the nut may fall if you remove all the strings at once. But it slots back in place again, so as long as you don't lose it it's fine.
Those tabs are very prone to breakage, bad design.

Yeah, bit of an error from Warwick with the design there.

I know it shouldn't affect function/playability but I swear there's a tiny bit of buzz when playing. Though getting it setup properly this weekend so will see if that remedies it.

Don't suppose you fancy a trade for that lovely looking 'ray you have in your profile pic? :)

[quote name='Matt_UK' timestamp='1319138727' post='1410531']
Yeah, bit of an error from Warwick with the design there.

I know it shouldn't affect function/playability but I swear there's a tiny bit of buzz when playing. Though getting it setup properly this weekend so will see if that remedies it.

Don't suppose you fancy a trade for that lovely looking 'ray you have in your profile pic? :)
[/quote]

You wouldn't walk on the street and tell someone "hey, I would trade my mum for yours!"
Well, think of the Stingray as...
Ok, forget it, it doesn't work that way :) but that Stingray doesn't go anywhere! :)

According to the Warwick website the change from a JAN2 to a JAN3 is straight swap - you just pull off the JAN2 (it may need a little assistance with a stanley blade or similar) and attach the JAN3 with a drop of superglue to fix it in place. My SS1 had the brass JAN1 originally fitted and that too had an inherent design flaw (the screws that the strings sat in would work loose and rattle, genearting weird harmonics) and so I had to change that for a brass JAN3 - that was a little more difficult as the JAN2/3 are about 2mm deeper than the JAN1 but the way I saw it was that first and foremost the bass is for playing and if something is stopping it from playing properly then I should fix it. As for resale value, would you rather buy a secondhand car with the original wornout tyres or one with brand new tyres fitted?

Edited by darkandrew

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1319145043' post='1410631']
You wouldn't walk on the street and tell someone "hey, I would trade my mum for yours!"
Well, think of the Stingray as...
Ok, forget it, it doesn't work that way :) but that Stingray doesn't go anywhere! :)
[/quote]

Lol, well it was worth a try! :o

[quote name='darkandrew' timestamp='1319145806' post='1410650']
As for resale value, would you rather buy a secondhand car with the original wornout tyres or one with brand new tyres fitted?
[/quote]

I see what you mean, though nuts shouldn't break as often as tyres need replacing :)! Thanks for the info regarding replacing it but will probably get a pro to do it as I would never forgive myself if I end up screwing something up!

Edited by Matt_UK