Why become a member? ×

Bergantino Cabs - HT/HT112 combo versus a pair of AE112 cabs

alanbass1

I just replied to an IM from Sparky Mark on this subject and thought I would post my response here for reference

Hi Mark,
My favourite set up is the HT112/EX112 combination. It is loud, punchy, clear and articulate with the best 'top end' I have ever heard form a bass cab (fantastic tweeeter on the HT112 which I believe is not available anymore). Coupled with the EX (which doesn't have a tweeter) it is amazing - the EX112 has more 'thump' than the HT cab which I guess is down to not having a crossover network to get through to the speaker meaning the signal integrity is purer/more direct.

The AE is also an excellent speaker and better/more solid sounding than any other neo speaker I have owned. It is more aggressive and less articulate than the HT and needs more careful placement to get a consistent sound as the cab has a rear firing port, but this may be preferable for someone looking for more 'grind'. Also, it is lighter by 7lbs (33lbs versus 40lbs), which may not sound much but in real life with gigs having awkward access does make a real difference.

I like both cabs (and now have a pair of AE112's for gigging), and will use both pairs dependant on mood/gig. But if I were to have just one I would go for the HT/EX combination.

Hope that helps

Thanks for that Alan, I've always been curious about the AE's as I also have the HT stack (which I really like). I'm expecting good things of the Big Baby T when it arrives, even though I realise it will have an inherently different sound to the Bergs. I hope its a sound I like!

I'd expect the HT set-up to have a bigger low end.

I prefer rear porting myself so I may try and pick up a pr of AE112's though the second hand price for a discontiued line has remained high.
Apart from the side handle on the new HD's..they might be worth looking into as they are also ceramic but maybe that line is a afterthought of another sudden discontinued line..?

[quote name='bass_by_name' timestamp='1319273944' post='1412032']
....It did seem to be somewhat of an over reaction to the price uncertainty around neo....
[/quote]
[size=4][color=#222222][font=Arial]You can't run a world class, world wide business based on uncertainty. [/font][/color][/size]

[size=4][color=#222222][font=Arial]The Chinese are playing games with the world supply of neo so it seems that no one can rely on the Chinese for forward planning their business. Larger companies may have the resources to ride out these massive increases in speaker costs but smaller companies won't be able to do that. Barefaced already has a £40 neo surcharge per speaker. That is a huge additional cost to absorb and small companies can’t do that. [/font][/color][/size]

[size=4][color=#222222][font=Arial]Other companies will have a lower cost base because they manufacture their cabs in the [/font][/color][/size][color=#222222][font=Arial][size=1][size=4]Far East[/size][size=4] making use of cheap labour costs, but Bergantino are paying US wages so they have a lot less "wriggle" room.[/size][/size][/font][/color]
[size=4][font=Arial] [/font][/size][font=Arial][size=2][/size][/font]

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1319284243' post='1412216']
[size=4][color=#222222][font=Arial]You can't run a world class, world wide business based on uncertainty. [/font][/color][/size]

[size=4][color=#222222][font=Arial]The Chinese are playing games with the world supply of neo so it seems that no one can rely on the Chinese for forward planning their business. Larger companies may have the resources to ride out these massive increases in speaker costs but smaller companies won't be able to do that. Barefaced already has a £40 neo surcharge per speaker. That is a huge additional cost to absorb and small companies can’t do that. [/font][/color][/size]

[size=4][color=#222222][font=Arial]Other companies will have a lower cost base because they manufacture their cabs in the [/font][/color][/size][color=#222222][font=Arial][size=1][size=4]Far East[/size][size=4] making use of cheap labour costs, but Bergantino are paying US wages so they have a lot less "wriggle" room.[/size][/size][/font][/color]

[/quote]

Although Barefaced are using a higher specification and therefore more expensive neo driver than the neo drivers previously used by Bergantino, meaning Barefaced would have even higher additional costs to absorb.

Frank.