Why become a member? ×

N(old)BD - Gherson Jazz is here ;-)

KiOgon

Knock on the door when I was in the shower thismorning (don't it always happen) So Kaz went - "there's a huge box here from Blackpool" - that'll be the tower I ordered I quipped! :)

Well it was big & square & had at least 1/2 a tree's worth of paper packed around my latest ebay bargain!

It smells a bit! But it's all there, good & bad, pickguard broken which I knew about, no output apart from crackles, which I expected as the ad said 'non working etc', bit of a ding on the back of neck, more of a crack in the varnish really, which wasn't shown in the photo's.

The head has cleaned up straight away, what looked like a fag burn just wiped off! The tuners are all good & working, original string trees are fine, nut - good, especially please that all the neck binding is good, undamaged & all in place. Likewise the MOP inlays, all present & correct, with only a couple requiring gluing back in flush.

The body is great, hardly any chips or scratches, just a bit of coming apart at the join to sort, but there's hardly a mark on the back & the neck plate + screws chrome is fine.
Original pick-ups in excellent condition, plastic cases shiny & pole pieces rust free. I haven't opened it up yet but I think the pots will need replacing, no problems anticipated sorting the wiring out.

The bridge is a bit of a tarnished ugly 1/2 Gibson 1/4 Rick & 1/4 cheap/nasty thing so I'll be looking for an upgrade/replacement bridge.

So it's just pick guard, bridge, pots & knobs + a set of strings, with a bit of glue & clamping - should be in business soon!

Cheerz, John

Wishing I could find a serial number on this but there's nothing - nowhere :) It's all stripped & cleaned, no scribbles on the neck, neck pocket or in the cavities, not even a pencil mark. No good on the pots either, 2 volume are obviously cheap & nasty replacements & the tone which looks old, I thought might just have been original - turns out to be a RS - none of them with any date codes on :o Nothing on the back of the pick ups, pick guard or bridge.

So I guess it's a '73 then :) same as my old one :) until proven otherwise :o

Cheerz, John