Why become a member? ×

Tonewoods? Which one to choose?

Billy Apple

Hi All,

After looking at various Wishbasses and following Mr Foxen's recent purchase, I've decided to put in an order for a Wishbass. I want a deep red colour, Mr Wish is offering Padauk or Bloodwood. I know nothing about the tonal nature or weights of these two woods.

Anyone got any gen on these, or any other suggestions for wood?

Wish tends to build his basses very chunky therefore the body shape/size will have more impact on the weight and balance then the woods used. Also I would suggest while it is possible to make generalisations about a wood's tonal contribution when making instruments out of a single piece for the body and another for the neck, once you start gluing different pieces together you inject far too many variables into the equation to to be able to make any meaningful predictions as to the sound of the instrument. Besides the electronics will have a far more significant contribution.

Therefore as I said in my first post, go with the wood(s) you like the look of (as Mr Foxen did).

This ^ All of it.

Your choice of pickups and EQ circuit will have the most profound effect on the sound of the bass.

I have an ash bodied, maple neck and board, corian nut and Schaller bridged bass, and another with a maple body, wenge neck and board, brass nut and two piece bridge. They have the same pickups and circuit in in pretty much the same position. Amplified, it's very very hard to tell them apart. Once the band starts up, it's pretty much impossible.

They feel, look and play differently, though a lot of that is down to their shapes, size, neck profile, etc.

The wood 'tone' is probably the least significant factor between them. I like Padauk. :)

Edited by Muzz

I have two Peaveys. Ones Ash or Alder with a bolt on maple neck. and the other is a through neck Mahogany with Maple. They sound totally different unamplified. But I've tried the Seymour Duncans in both and again you can barely tell the difference!

In my opinion the only thugs to consider when choosing wood is the price, the weight, and how it looks :)

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1319273593' post='1412029']
Right, now about the tonal qualities of the different glues that he uses ...
[/quote]

Well, why not? But I should imagine he uses the same glue on each instrument, so I probably don't have a choice. But seeing as he uses many different woods, I do have a choice. And different woods must affect tone, or should we all make do with pine guitars and that would be the end of the matter?

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' timestamp='1319273388' post='1412021']
Ask your luthier? Have a look around the web? Could a lighter (coloured) Wood be stained to your preference? What does Mr Wish recommend?
[/quote]

Padauk or Bloodwood. Although I like the look of Cocobolo, although I'm reading up that it'd very heavy, and weight will be considered.

[quote name='billyapple' timestamp='1319276116' post='1412065']
... And different woods must affect tone ...
[/quote]
That's exactly what is disputed, and, if wood does have any effect on tone at all, is that effect immediately over-ridden by strings, pickups, electronics, effects, playing style, amplification etc.

The neck in a Wishbass is so thick and chunky that the wings make very little odds, although they do feel pretty lively. I really wouldn't have massive consideration to tone in wood choice. Pickup and position is a much bigger deal. If you are on Facebook, you can just talk to the man himself. Pretty sure he never sleeps.

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1319276833' post='1412078'] That's exactly what is disputed, and, if wood does have any effect on tone at all, is that effect immediately over-ridden by strings, pickups, electronics, effects, playing style, amplification etc.[/quote]

I agree that many factors do affect tone. I also understand that some people do not think wood a determining factor, but I do. Wood has variables such as density, grain and weight, all which IMHO make a difference to resonance, sustain and tone. What I'm after is a nice deep red/brown/burgundy wood with some nicely defined grain, hopefully giving a rich tone, and would appreciate BC'ers input. This will be my first fret-less, and I'm enjoying the decision making process.This was not meant to be a debate over wood versus hardware and electrics. I think that is for another thread.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1319286034' post='1412249']The neck in a Wishbass is so thick and chunky that the wings make very little odds, although they do feel pretty lively. I really wouldn't have massive consideration to tone in wood choice. Pickup and position is a much bigger deal. If you are on Facebook, you can just talk to the man himself. Pretty sure he never sleeps.[/quote]

Thanks Oli,

I've been emailing him, so we're in touch. What woods are in the laminate of your neck, is it a standard choice, of can you choose the neck woods too?

[quote name='leftybassman392' timestamp='1319286526' post='1412256']Note to OP: You will find this topic has been discussed at great length on BC. Here's the link: [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/73234-tonewoods/"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/73234-tonewoods/[/url][/quote]

Thanks. I'll give that a look

[quote name='soopercrip' timestamp='1319287097' post='1412269']
Can get some nice graining in Cherry, good to work with and finish, might not sound as exotic as cocobolo or bubinga but looks good. Colour can be achieved by various means.
And it's a bit lighter (weight) than some of the others

Andy
[/quote]

I like the idea of Cherry, it sounds so sweet :)

[quote name='billyapple' timestamp='1319286717' post='1412259']
Wood has variables such as density, grain and weight, all which IMHO make a difference to resonance, sustain and tone. What I'm after is a nice deep red/brown/burgundy wood with some nicely defined grain, hopefully giving a rich tone...(snip)
[/quote]
As I said in my second reply it is possible to make generalisations about the contribution that individual pieces of wood make to the sound of an instrument, as soon as you start gluing different pieces of wood together the picture becomes much less clear. Simply there's too many different combinations and proportions and construction methods possible that it becomes impossible to quantify.

While it would be nice to be able to pick the right wood combinations to get you towards the sound you are after, in practice it's not really going to happen, and TBH Wish's basses are even more of an inexact science than other luthiers. Your best off getting him to take some photos of the different pieces of red coloured wood he has and pick the ones you like the look of.