Why become a member? ×

Reshaping the neck

tommorichards

Depends on the kind of neck. Bolt-on, thru etc, laminated or single piece. Without sounding obvious, the more you remove, the greater chance of bow, but the truss rod should be able to compensate. IMO a laminate neck should be more stable due to the opposing laminates, but some maple one pieces are pretty sturdy. A spoke-shave may give a cleaner removal than surform (I think this is what you mean by rasp). Go slowly, and keep measuring with a calliper of you have one.

It's difficult to put wood back once it's gone, how about a different bass?

Good luck

It depends very much on your tr. Where it is set and how thick it is - some are almost twice the height of others. You risk taking the back of the neck so thin that your tr has very little to act against and will punch through when it is tensioning.

I agree that a rasp/surform will be overkill on an already profiled neck and that a spoke-shave then a vertically held blade would be better.

[i]"It's difficult to put wood back once it's gone". [/i]

Never heard of glue Billy? :)

[quote name='essexbasscat' timestamp='1320187059' post='1423656']
Just a thought. Are thinner necks more susceptable to moving in response to local climatic changes ?
[/quote]
Compared to those of an identical construction... possibly. But a thick neck made of pine (perish the thought) would be more susceptible than a thin one of carbon fibre say.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1320186573' post='1423645']
Is it a bolt on neck? I'm always trying to find chunky necks, usually they come on cheap basses, wondering if a higher end one will be nicer.
[/quote]
It is a bolt on neck, its this one in fact:

Its like half a baseball bat. Its not bad, but a bit thick for my liking, however, it has the 21 fret dealio, which i prefer.

Heck, if anyone wants to trade for a thinner neck, im open to it.

Edited by tommorichards