Why become a member? ×

New band...I think I won't be loud enough...

Jamesemt

I've just got into a mates band but have just found out that they are a twin guitar setup...and we are playing Rock - Foo Fighters, GNR etc

I've currently got a Shuttle 3 10 with an ampeg mini SVT as an extension cab. That's 300w.

Does anyone have any ideas for the lightest/cheapest way to get more power? I love the current setup as I'm paranoid about my back and the Ampeg cab only weighs?? 25lbs or something.

I may be over reacting, but thought I'd get advice in case I am not...

I was thinking maybe long term of going to a stereo amp, and drive 2xmini svts per side. They are 8ohm each.

Any advice?

I used my Ampeg PF-500 with a single 410 cab, so getting about 350 watts from it, and never needed it on more than 4, in a band with the same line-up. And if i put the amp on 5 it was so ridiculously loud, so I think 300 watts should be enough. The dB rating of the 410 was quite high though.

Those Ampeg cabs have a great sound, but aren`t the loudest around. If you want light and powerful, Alex Claber above is the man to go to - his Barefaced cabs are truly amazing. I can carry both my Compact (115) and Midget (112) at the same time to the car, and I have a bad back. They`re not cheap, but quality products seldom are. I`ll also add, they`re not ridiculously expensive either though.

[quote name='Jamesemt' timestamp='1320240654' post='1424150']
....I may be over reacting....
[/quote]
[size=4]No you're not; they're going to bury you!! [/size]

[size=4]You need a rig that keeps up and has something in reserve. I think 500 watts and a 410 or better still 500 watts and a SuperTwelve would do the job.[/size]

My Shuttle 6.0 with a Genz 1x12 on its own put 375 watts out and I think it would be pushing it at that TBH, The only thing is that for me in those situations its the Cab not the amp thats running out of steam so Id say if your struggling try and use your amp with someone elses cab ie a 4x10 or 2x12 and see what its like first but Id say your getting near its limit as someone who has the 6.0 version.

If you feel you would like to off load the 3.0 to upgrade to a 6.0 or something different altogether send me a pm, Im after one as a backup/home use head :)

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1320255560' post='1424486']

If you feel you would like to off load the 3.0 to upgrade to a 6.0 or something different altogether send me a pm, Im after one as a backup/home use head :)[/quote]

Cheers but it's a 310 not just a Shuttle 3

[font=georgia,serif][color=#ff0000][b][size=6]PANIC!!!!!!![/size][/b][/color][/font]

A 3x10?! You'd barely be heard in a jazz gig with only an acoustic guitar to compete with!

What you need is 2 8x10s and 2 2x15s under them with a couple of 10k amps to run them if you're gonna play stuff like GnR with no PA support!

Just messin with ya.

I've done many gigs with a 2x10 & no PA along with 2 loud guitarists & a heavy hitting drummer & had no trouble whatsoever being heard. Try it at rehearsal, you might just get a surprise.

True although my 1x12 came from a split deal here on BC as I bought the head with my 2x12.

Best bet is to try it with different cabs then, do you use a rehearsal room where you could try it with various configurations? A good thing to buy/make would be a Speakon to jack lead if you don't already have one, it's no good if some nice fellow offers to let you use his nice 4x10 at your first gig only to find you can't connect your head into it, I have to use one if I want to put another head into my genz cabs too for instance.

I used to gig with a 250w 2x10 H&K Bassbase combo and it had no problems keeping me in the mix in a 'pub' Rock band setting. However, though I managed fine, it would have been nice to have had more headroom/drivers, so I'd never say never but it does depends on the quality of the gear that you are using. If you are considering going to a stereo/twin stack, then I'd seriously consider [u]all[/u] of your options before going down that route as there are a multitude of ways of being heard effectively.

Put your stack in the corner of the room for maximum boundary reinforcement and if it starts complaining turn down the lows a bit (and/or turn down the lows on the guitarists' amps to free up some sonic space for you). Your limiting factor is likely to be that one of your 10"s is in a small ported cab and the others are in a sealed cab so they're not going to couple very well in the lows and the power handling below 100Hz will be pretty low. But if you have friendly acoustics, wise guitarists and a drummer with dynamic control you'll be fine!

yup...looks like you are going to get caned....but..

First off, you have to try this out in context and see how loud they want to push it.
I would guess any band doing Foo's type stuff are going to want that gtr wall of sound which doesn't auger well on quite a few fronts.

If they run half stacks loud, they'll bury most drummers and force him to hit/play so loud and then
you will have to compromise so much bass sound-wise..by trimming this and that..that your only chance is to end up with a sound that can be heard..but you'll likely hate
and full of compromises.

But hey..your gtrs might sensible and run decent volumes and you'll be fine..and everyone will not end up deaf.

Get set-up in rehearsal and see how things go... start from a quiet sound and MAKE SURE everyone is conversant with a sound that works.
Bear in mind that gigs, volumjes might go silly, but this is a chance to band mix the sound and set parameters that everyone is aware of...
There is no point if you are loud in one area..gtrs..and everything struggles ..ie, vox, bass and drums.

Marching in there with a fridge for a rig is the wrong way to go about this...as in I'm all right, I have the volume covered with this rig deal..!!
Consider most venues can't handle the volumes that some bands can and DO, put out.

Get the mix right and work from there. I think you will need a more powerful rig but hope that will not up the ante with gtrs going louder.

i played for years in a number of different bands with a 150W trace elliot head and an ancient peavey 4x10 and never had problems being heard

if you're having to compete with the guitarists then the first thing i'd do would be to sit down and educate them about how to eq for a live sound as what sounds good on your own often isn't good for playing with other musicians. ime rock/metal guitarists like to scoop their eq settings, which doesn't cut through live so they end up turning up way too loud.

get a good sound balance with the drummer and then get the guitarists to work to that.

ymmv of course

I've started to come round to the idea that most amps of 300 watts upwards and a decent cab will blend nicely with a drummer. After that, if the guitarists are drowning you out, they need to turn down, simple as that - your sound will be so much easier to manage on a live stage, especially in smaller venues.

Of course, getting guitarists to turn down isn't always easy, but getting into a volume war turns things mushy quite quickly IME...

[quote name='Jamesemt' timestamp='1320240654' post='1424150']

I've currently got a Shuttle 3 10 with an ampeg mini SVT as an extension cab. That's 300w.
[/quote]Get another Mini, stack them vertically. It's not about watts, it's about displacement and sensitivity. Two Minis is a pretty formidable rig, they just won't go real low due to the small size.

• 2 weeks later...

Results from the first rehearsal are positive - got into a bit of a volume war with the guitarist's 4x12 Boogie and the Benz gave up and cut out.

After we all turned down it worked out great...but not a great deal of headroom there. May have to upgrade when funds allow...but not rush (thankfully).