Why become a member? ×

eb0 eb3 style Bridge....can't adjust the height..any ideas???

bassamp

Hi fellow basschaters

I have just bought a secondhand tokai semi acoustic eb2 copy. It has a bridge like an eb0 or eb3 etc

[attachment=92667:Image01011.JPG]

[attachment=92668:300262298727-1.jpg]

I went to adjust the action using the screws on each side of the bridge. The screw next to the G string adjusted fine.

As you can see from the pic, when i try to tighten the screw next to the E string. The nut that it is screwed into comes away from the body. Don't know if i just need take it apart and glue the nut back into the body

The other pic is one i found on the web of a bass with a similar bridge. If you imagine the nuts that are attached to the body come away from the body when the screws are tightened into it

Any ideas of how to sort it would be much appreciated

Cheers
Bassamp

Edited by bassamp

I added the pic of the actual problem

Looked on the web and appartently the part is called the bridge post stud and that is what is coming away from the body when I tighten the screw into it

[attachment=92672:Electric-Guitar_1962.jpg]

If you see the pic above from the web, it is this part which is loose and comes out when the screw is tightened

Thanks

Edited by bassamp

They're quite often just tapped in; the fluted sides are supposed to hold them, but if the front of the semi is plywood (likely) it'll break easily & lose the grip.
I'd be inclined towards something like Araldite for that, the turning of the stud when it shouldn't have could well have removed some of the wood that's holding the stud, so you'll need a thick glue to replace it.

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1320583261' post='1428505']
They're quite often just tapped in; the fluted sides are supposed to hold them, but if the front of the semi is plywood (likely) it'll break easily & lose the grip.
I'd be inclined towards something like Araldite for that, the turning of the stud when it shouldn't have could well have removed some of the wood that's holding the stud, so you'll need a thick glue to replace it.
[/quote]
The picture in the first post looks like an EB-3, not an EB-2, so will be just a solid lump of wood. If it was a semi hollow EB-2 there should be a block of solid wood running through the middle of the body under the ply top which the studs should bed into, so either way, resetting the stud using araldite should be the way to go.